legal issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: legal issues

legal issues

Hi, I'm new to the site, so I hope I posted this thread in the right spot.
    My boss has all types of monitoring software on the computers at work. At any time he can look at whats going on on our desktop. He has it set up so he can do this at work or at home. Today one of my co-workers said that he also has keyloggers on the computers. Is this legal? Personally I dont think he should be able to put a keylogger on my comp, but I dont think I can do anything about it. Any suggestions?

albn
    For work purposes,yes. I have been in offices where they log everything you do, and you most likely sined something saying you may be monitored.

They never had any of the employees sign anything saying that our computer activities would be monitored. Also they have all these security cameras that are aimed at employees instead of where I would think you would want them if someone broke into the place or anything. Im also sure the place is miked. But no, they never had us sign anything

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ok... I'll assume you are in the USA but the answer will apply to many countries I think....

It's your work network... They _own_ it.... It's theirs to do with as they please... Now there might be some question if you aren't warned that "anything you do on the work network may be monitored and breach of company policies could lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination".

OTOH, your friend that has a keylogger installed is "prime bait" for getting his rear fired unless he is an authorized IT employee.... If he's just some Tom, Dick or Harry with a keylogger installed then, if the admin is competent, he will be caught and I would fire him so quickly his "feet wouldn't touch..... "

I don't keylog workstations, (I have 650'ish), I can watch you messing around by watching your desktop as you play when you trigger my intrusion detection systems.... I take the screenshots and send them to your supervisor.... It's perfectly legal - because every three months to the day I send you a message telling you that I _can_ do it, I _do_ do it and I will have you fired if you break the rules laid down in the rest of this email.....

Tell your friend to uninstall his keylogger and do you're personal stuff at home.... You'll have a longer "employment experience"..... Trust me!!!

Since you have responded since I started.... You don't need to have signed _anything_ if I can prove you have been shown the policies....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

My estimate is no, unless he has permission granted to him by your boss. In either case, and like Tiger mentioned, it's always best to conduct personal matters/etc during your time at home rather than your time at work. And this is even if you do have the needed permissions.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hi, I'm new to the site, so I hope I posted this thread in the right spot.
    My boss has all types of monitoring software on the computers at work. At any time he can look at whats going on on our desktop. He has it set up so he can do this at work or at home. Today one of my co-workers said that he also has keyloggers on the computers. Is this legal? Personally I dont think he should be able to put a keylogger on my comp, but I dont think I can do anything about it. Any suggestions?
    The funny thing is...your boss might have a copy of this thread on his computer now . My suggestion....don't sweat it. Talk to him about what the procedures are and how do you go about some privacy when you visit your email or something.(unless it is not permited, then you're screwed)

Tell your friend to uninstall his keylogger and do you're personal stuff at home.... You'll have a longer "employment experience"..... Trust me!!!
    Tiger, by "He", i'm sure he was refering to the Boss, not the friend .

I don't keylog workstations, (I have 650'ish), I can watch you messing around by watching your desktop as you play when you trigger my intrusion detection systems.... I take the screenshots and send them to your supervisor.... It's perfectly legal - because every three months to the day I send you a message telling you that I _can_ do it, I _do_ do it and I will have you fired if you break the rules laid down in the rest of this email.....
    I did exaclty the same while I was running the Internet Cafe. I monitored any activities that would make me suspicious, orsometimes if you put a CD or a Flash disk, I'd check whats in there, just in case the person was running any funky shiz. I wouldnt monitor any regular customers whom I had built some trust on, and knew them by first name basis. A notice was posted above each monitor, and the customers were informed that their activites might be monitored at the employee's discretion.

Thanks for the info ppl. The only thing was, I use my hotmail account for work and the boss thought I was screwing around when I check my e-mail all the time. But I think that I'll just stop doing that rather that cause a big sh*tstorm

Yeah, that's a good idea. And if he think's your doing it all the time, then that probably means everytime he see's you, your on your e-mail which is probably not a good idea. It also indicates your not slick at all
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    If the boss has authority of the office workstations then yes is legal. Personally I occasionally like to walk up behind someone at a workstation and have them browse their history file. It's not a necessity; I just like to make them sweat.

HAd a Staff member accuse me of "Playing" .. She made the mistake of doing so in front of clients, and the boss, and me being in a bad mood.. I then invited her and the boss into my office and asked her to pick a day.. and I played back the recording from the keylogger on my system.."Any non-work related activity?" no!.. then I asked for another day.. after 3 I then asked if I should do the same from her workstation.. she answered no.. the boss asked why not....no apology.. Sales staff hate the tech staff.. .. the tech staff will work the floor, but the sales staff won't go near the tech stuff.. BTW: Mine was the only Workstation with a keylogger.. I had been testing it for about 3 months
    I realy do need to get out of that **** hole

the point of my story.. if you are legit in what your doing, then you have no worries.. a keylogger could be your best defence when falsly accused.. and it is your bosses equipment and his time your using..if it is not work related Your stealing from your employer.. as simple as that

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr