Philadelphia mulls wireless society
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia mulls wireless society

Philadelphia mulls wireless society

w00t!! Now here's something cool.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- For about $10 million, city officials believe they can turn all 135 square miles of Philadelphia into the world's largest wireless Internet hot spot.
    ARTICLE

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Shall we rewrite the headline?

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- For about $10 million, city officials believe they can turn all 135 square miles of Philadelphia into the world's largest hacker's paradise.

I'm in.... Damn, I used to live near there.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

ROFL...But on a serious note, imagine the possibilites ....oh man...

The Iceman Cometh
    A local community here is thinking of doing the same thing. In fact, I have a friend who is part of the consulting team that was hired to perform a feasability study. Another community nearby set up a wireless blanket over their historic downtown area to provide local businesses and visitors with wireless Internet access. I'm not sure exactly how much they charge for the service, but I assume it to be something close to what Starbucks and other wireless hotspots charge per hour or per month. I've heard that other areas (including an area in Detroit and somewhere else along the eastern seaboard) have set up similar things to that which Philadelphia is contemplating. Personally, I think it's an awesome idea, but I'm not quite sure today's technology is up to it. There are too many upcoming technologies which have the potential to cause serious interference. I'd personally rather wait until 802.16 (Wireless Metropolital Area Networks) mature and go from there. I think that technology has a lot more potential for these types of things than the 802.11 they're using now. But that's just my opinion.

AJ

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    10 miles away from my place!!!!!! awesome. If they do this, you will see me there everyday lol or I can just get a humongous antenna and go from there! possiblities!!!!

Banned
    w00t!! Now here's something cool.
    Cybr1d mauls wireless society ARTICLE... Pretty neat article, but other than that, not much of your input. Personally I think this could go very good, or very bad. It may be used as a vehicle for big brother as well .

I had nothing to input...just wanted to share an article....if thats ok with you.

Grand Haven, MI....has done just that, and their security is a mockery...

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Grand Haven, MI....has done just that, and their security is a mockery...
    In what way is it exactly a "mockery". If this is an open, public system then it isn't going to have much security or it would be pretty much unusable for the people it hopes to serve. OTOH if you are saying you can get into WAP config's etc. I would agree... Which is it?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a couple of sites dedicated to this sort of thing:

http://www.seattlewireless.com/

http://nocat.net/

Lots of really good info and links to related information.

I Love these 2 sites for all things wireless!!!!
    \"If you take a starving dog in off the street and make him prosperous he will not bite you, this is the principle difference between a dog and a man\" - Mark Twain