Thread: ipkungfu and knoppix installation attempt

ipkungfu and knoppix installation attempt

Im trying to find a way to get ipkungfu to work within knoppix 3.3
    I have tried following the instructions in the read me file. The install script just whines that it can't write to the files & folders. (it's a cd, so of course not) I didn't want to give up yet so I took a look at the install script. On a whim I decided to try directing all the install files to a temp dir on the hard drive. I created a sort of psuedo directory structure and the install actually completed without a complaint. Looking for the next error I went ahead and tried to start it. Bam, Same complaints about not being able to write files from the main start up script. I follow the same method as before redirecting the directory structures and retried it. It wouldn't load but It was down to just about four complaints that I traced back to a path that was listed. I tried adding the psudo directorys to that path and it failed, lots of errors. Put the first path back and added the psuedo path to the end of it and well... The system became ever so slightly unstable... the start script didn't give errors about not being able to write to folders but it was having a problem finding the basic commands like grep. This is where i glad its not installed to the hard drive . I hosered the system pretty good(which is why i don't want a HD install, I manage to crash it on a regular basis).
    I have searched for information on this though google, altavista, the linuxkungfu site, knoppix.net, knopper.net, and many linux discusion forums. I have yet to find anything concerning running ipkungfu on knoppix, probly because it is not possible as of yet or no one found it neseccery to try. Mabey i just used the wrong search strings.
    I'm not profecient enough in scripting to write my own iptable, ipchain, netfilter scripts yet and reading the doc's on that made my eyes and brain hurt. Soon as i can get more asprian I'll look it over some more.
    From what I've seen posted here before i know that there are some that frequent this site that that can easily tell me if what I'm doing can or cannot be done, mabey even give a few pointers as to what I could possibly do to get this to work.
    Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure ipkungfu is open sourced so I can try to get it do what I want but if not oh well, my bad and i would regretfully give it up.

(i know 3.6 came out today I'm stuck in 3.3 for now because of a stupid acx100 card the only driver i could get to work will not run on a higher kernel version)

Hi, this sounds interesting. I will give it a try when i get home (Boss is watching......) I am also running a knoppix at home.

Ops, I am using knoppix-std, try go this site: www.knoppix-std.org
    They have IPKungfu installed together with the CD-image.
    (together with a Ton of security software and firewalls etc inside. Is like a gold mine to me)

After that you will have to upgrade the kernel...........

Hope this helps..

noppix std wouldn't work for what I was trying to do, though it does have the program installed it would be useless since the wireless card my system is using won't load with STD. The only driver for the acx 100 wireless card im using that works, happens to only work on the knoppix 3.3.