Thread: Disc Shredder!!

AO French Antique News Whore

Disc Shredder!!

-Simon \"SDK\"

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    That really looks a lot better than the old ones that just scratch up the surface and claim that the disc is "unreadable" after that.

http://www.cds.com/Duplicator/CDS/CDDestroy.htm

Supposedly, you can take a DiscDoctor to a CD that's gone through one of these things, and the CD is fine...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

our pape shredder here can do that too. it can shred 100 sheets at time
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

As far as I am aware, incineration and pulverisation are the only 100% reliable methods.

There are devices that will supposedly "recover" badly scratched and unplayable media, so I would share 11001001's reservations

For small quantities, just melting the surface with a blowtorch should work.

some of this stuff might work as well

http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm

a dremel and the "sanding" attachment..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Originally posted here by nihil
    There are devices that will supposedly "recover" badly scratched and unplayable media
    And I've seen one.

The *larger* government agencies have many tools at their fingertips. The one I'm referencing is a CD "re-shinier." Some people think that if you remove the reflective surface of a CD/DVD, the data can no longer be read, because the laser passes right through it.

Well, this "re-shinier" puts the shiny back on the disk, making it as good as new.

They have other tools as well, such as some down-trodden folks who like puzzles they keep locked away in the basement whose duty is to re-assemble destroyed CDs and then re-surface them, making able to be read.

[EDIT]

Jinx- just saw your post. They did this on Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel a while back.

from here
    Episode 2: Cell Phone Destruction, Silicone Breasts, CD-ROM Shattering
    In this episode, Jamie and Adam test several explosive theories. Can chatting on a cell phone while pumping gas cause the pump to blow up? Our mythbusters put themselves at risk so you don't have to. They also put silicone breast implants to the test at high altitude. Will they burst under pressure? Finally, we'll learn once and for all if high-speed CD-ROM players can really shatter a compact disc.
    [/EDIT]
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

BANNED
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/6d7f/

This one puts deep dimples in the cd from what I've been told.
    But I think paperhole puncher would do the trick.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Well, for a pressed CD/DVD you'd have to go and damage the metal disc surface that is squished between a fair amount of plastic. If you just damage the plastic, it may be possible to detach it and sandwich the metal part between some pieces of clear acrylic and have a new disc. Of course, I think it is much easier said than done...

For a "burned" CD/DVD, you can quite simply remove the label. The recording surface is acturally under the label, and this is why you're not supposed to use a ball-point pen to write on it. If you remove the label, you're left with a clear piece of plastic that makes a fun invisible frisbee. Just get a knife, cut the label, and peel. Find a way to dispose of the label, like melt it into a gooey lump or something.

BTW, for an audio CD, is isn't too difficult to permanently damage parts of the data. A data CD on the other-hand incorporates error-correction, so you might be able to piece together some redundant information...an audio CD does not have this error-correction. Just some interesting info I came across reading FAQs on some of the different books on the Audio CD format.

There is also microwaving CD's. I came across some videos and pictures of this a while back. And it probably isn't healthy for your microwave. But the attached pic shows what a disc might look like after this kind of treatment.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I have this little shop grinder out in my tool shed that works very nicely for shredding my old cd's, rendering them to dust in 10 to 15 seconds. I can do stacks at a time I'm sure, but I've never truly had the need to do so. I bet my sledgehammer would render them down almost as quickly. Why would we need a hi-tech gadget to destroy them when simple things work?

Oh - and a bit off topic - all those lil freaking aohell cd's that get sent out make a nice prism wall art piece in one of my bathrooms. I see them and get inspired : cool :
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!