Thread: Network question

Network question

what is the reason that i cannot see 2 win2k computer behind the hub cannot see each other on the My network places but can ping each other?

and what does 'request times out' means while pinging?

Is firewall villain? i have set my LAN on the trusted zone on the firewall. I am irrited really, same problem never ends. I have installed zone alaram on both using internet on both using router behind the hub.And I am not that stupid using Zonealarm, I shut it and tried no luck.

10 out of 9 times I have same problem,this is going on since abt 6 monts,

help 'd much appreceated

Elite Hacker
    Ouch, 10 out of 9 times doesn't sound good.
    So you say even disabling the firewall it still can't be seen by the other computers on the network? You must put each computer you want to be able to access the computer in the trusted zone on your firewall. I don't know if that's what you did when you say you put your LAN in the trusted zone. You may wanna run through the network setup wizard on all the computers to see if that helps. I know on XP for me the network setup wizard turns on XP's firewall so you have to go in and turn that off. Peace and I hope you get your network sorted out.

and what does 'request times out' means while pinging?
    Request Timed Out mean's that the ping request you sent out didn't get a response in a sufficient time, so it timed out and closed the request.
    Space For Rent.. =]

h3r3tic, you mean ..giving range doesn't help

Elite Hacker
    It should work with ranges. Let's say your other network computers are 192.168.1.100-105. If you tell the firewall to allow that traffic theoretically it should be fine. I just didn't know what you were meaning, but ranges should be fine. Fool around with it some more . Run through the network setup wizard . Peace.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Once you get to so they can ping each other sometime looking in "My network places" can be flakey. I normally just click start->Run then enter the UNC code for the box, example:

\\boxname

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    OK this one should be fairly easy. I assume to boxes on the same hub.

1. Shut all firewalls
    2. Check all leds, both on the hub as wel as the boxes nics. If one of them is out, check your cabling.
    3. If thats all ok, open up a command prompt and enter "arp -a". This will display the current arp-cache of the box.
    You should see the mac-adress of the other box. If no entries there we need to dig deeper.
    4. Check your ip settings. If you use dhcp, they should've got ip settings from the dhcp-server. If static make sure they are both on the same subnet. For example use 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0 and 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0.
    You can see these settings with "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt.
    5. If this is all checked and adapted you should be able to ping from every box. If this works at least you have connectivity. Now this normally means applications will work too, but this is not always true. So you might need to enable netbios for example, if you wanna see shares between the boxes.

If this doesn't help reply, Cheers
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby