Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing IP

Changing IP

I have cable internet going into a Linksys BEFW11S4 Router. I get powweb web hosting. I recently wanted to see what it'd look like to get banned from my site, so I banned my own ip from my powweb control panel. Unfourtunatly, it locked me from the control panel too, so I can't unban myself. I called my ISP, mediacom, and they changed the IP of my cable modem. That didn't work, because the IP I need to change is my router's IP. How can I do that?

Thanks for any help,
    Jared Stewart
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Developer Extraordinar
    A router is basicly like another computer on your internal network, that has many network controling options. Sometimes these router are acctually computer, often times with Linux installed on them (ie. Smoothwall or IPCop). Your router IP would be an internal IP, like 192.168.blah.blar so banning that on Powweb wouldn't do anything, because Powweb isn't on your internal network. However your external IP (ie. 24.blah.blar.blag) would be the IP the world sees, and banning that on Powweb would have an effect. Check to see that your IP did infact change when you called your Mediacom, and if not, explain the situation to them.

If in fact you do need to change the IP of your router (192.168.blah.blar), there should be a setting in the DHCP settings portion about what address to assign (ie. on my D-Link it's 192.168.0.0 that the D-Link assigns too) change the first 0 (ie. 192.168.*change*.blah), and also change range that it would give out to the same IP Range you changed the router's IP to.

For example if you changed the IP range to 192.168.6.0, your router's IP would probably be 192.168.6.1, and you should change the IP's the DHCP server gives out to something like: 192.168.6.2 to 192.168.6.60

Hope that helped.

microburn

That would change it's LAN IP. I need to change it's WAN ip.

Developer Extraordinar
    That would be your external address. Call Mediacom and get them to assign your router a new IP address.

They said they couldn't do anything from their end.

Blast From the Past
    just plug directly into the net....leave the router out and hook 1 comp up to the net...change what you have to then hook ur router back up
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

I cannot hook my cable modem directly to my computer, because it only has a wireless networking card.

Developer Extraordinar
    They lied. Clone your mac addy if possible and say your connection no longer works, and you bought a new router, they should assign a new IP.

Either that or contact PowWeb.

microburn

How about just buying a new router? I.E. Instead of Linksys, buy a new D-Link...and see if that works? If it doesn't, return it

I called tech support again and got the same answer. I asked to talk to his boss, so he put him on the phone. The guy solved it within 5 minutes.