Thread: winbox as gatway

winbox as gatway

Does anybody know of a way to use a windows box as a gateway so it will look like this:

internet
    ------------| winbox |-------| switch |-------| linbox |

The reason that i need to do this is that my windows box has a modem in it (i don't have broadband :'() and it can get online, it's a winmodem which sucks cause it doesn't work with linux. If it works i would just put the windows box online and leave it online. The thought just occured to me however to skip the switch and just use a crossover cable, would that work perhaps? any help would be kick ass! Thanks. Oh btw the winbox and linbox both have 10/100 ethernet cards in them.
    Even if your plane crashed tonight you\'d find some way to disappoint by not burning in the wreckage or drowning at the bottom of the sea

if that is your setup you might as well have the winbox dialup to the internet then run a crossover from your ms machines network card to the linux machines network card. then set the windows machine as a dhcp server with internet connection sharing and set your linux box to recieve an ip addy from the dhcp server and it is that simple.

Other wise you can have the windows box dial up to the net then run a straight through cable from it to a switch then run a straight through cable from the switch to the linux box .. it is not hard at all

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=260845

this tutorial will show you how to enable internet connection sharing from windows to linux ...

new_b_l33t

If you haven't already thought of it, don't forget to throw up a firewall, AV, Spybot stuff on the windows box.

I used to use a windows box as a gateway, if you will. The ole "Internet Connection Sharing" on win98se. It worked fine sliding linux through it. I didn't have a switch back then either.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

thanks alot guys/girls appreciate it a lot!
    Even if your plane crashed tonight you\'d find some way to disappoint by not burning in the wreckage or drowning at the bottom of the sea

oh and i take it i can do all of this through network connections. Just make a new connection on the windows box. Click that option, of "other computers access the internet through this computer" and use the switch cause i have layin around anyway?

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    That should work, and then you can hook more boxes to the switch as you get them. Just make sure your Linux box is set up to get it's IP using DHCP.

okay but anyboyd know how to make windows function as a DHCP server?

when you use internet connection sharing in XP it automatically sets up a mini-dhcp server... the only other option (if you want a full blown one) is to use a win server
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM