Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Major MyDoom Infestation -- Can it be Fixed?

Thanks everybody, that gives me a LOT of options to play with, most appreciated. Yeah, Google and I have become good friends, and I'll definately look up some of that stuff suggested.

And of course, your humor is much appreciated gore.

I'll get crackin' on this after lunch, then I'll report back to you guys with the results. Wish me luck!

every task is a learning experience..some you learn more than others.. and sometime it is revision of old stuff..

Cheers

BTW.. that last post of your was 1337.. so now your 1337 you can haxor any box...
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

...man! your taking a long lunch. its tuesday morning already...what happened?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Mid afternoon Tuesday.. exceptionaly long. .huh

maybe he caught something from the PC.. like a virus....or worse he needs to be wormed..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

"....or worse he needs to be wormed.."

almost passed an entire cup of coffee threw my nose on that one.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    ive noticed people have their own ways of "resetting" a system when a problem occurs. and yes im the same, if i format it usually takes me a month or so before the system is back how i like it.

so i wanted to say what i do whenever i needed to start from scratch....

as a rule, anything i download and install, goes into my 'downloads' folder, which is sub-divided into catagories and everything is filed accordingly...

that gets burned onto a disk along with any music/pics... mirc.ini or any other file i want to keep.

next on some paper (depending on how much i want it the same) i write settings, edited file layouts, even where the icons go on the desktop.... (sad but true)

so basically, i have what i "want" my system to be on some paper and a CD (or 2)...

then i do the format, clean install of OS... and then start to install everything Logically, meaning in an appropriate order (example of, AV and spyware first, not "possibly insecure" items then followed by the protection)....

i know this seems long and drawn out, but for those who take months to reconfigure like me, its definately worth it...

last time i remember i started a fresh install at 7:00pm and got it all finshed and almost how i like it by midnight.... (i say almost because there were a couple of things that i left for the next day).

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Ghost.. If you don't want the long drawn out task of a clean install.. Image the drive.. burn it to a DVD or a group of CD's or have a HDD just to store the base image of your os..

As you have done CybertecOne backup what is important.. your settings, eamils, contacts what ever.. my machines have a Data Partition or Drive.. all this inf is kept here and backedup.. when the OS goes arseup.. recreate the primary partition and format.. then restore the OS image to the drive.. then its a matter of installing any new software ( and servicepacks patches) .. down time a hour or so.. and with most imaging sofware being more versitile.. the customising period will be shorter than a day....

Cheers

Oh sorry guys, I was a bit distracted from getting back onto AO yesterday. I'm pretty much stuck for the moment.

The problem is the guy doesn't have his installation cd. Turns out this is a computer he was given from the office, and he just used the OS already in place. So, with no legal Windows cd to work with, I'm pretty much stuck in idle. I've told him that if we are to progress from here, he's going to have to get his hands on an installation cd.

This could be good news though (for me). If he can't find the cd, he'll need to either a) buy a new Windows cd or b) let me slap Linux on there. Either way, I'll just back up his files, install the new OS, and James gets paid more!

Tedob1 has the right idea - I've saved several PC's without having to reformat by using Stinger from McAfee - it's available here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Run Stinger in safe mode with administrator rights and it should find and clean the major infections - this should in turn allow you to be able to work with the machine to perform other cleaning tasks.

Stinger is a great little tool..
    - Maverick

AK id think twice before replacing the system with a format or a differant os. people grow fond of what they have and what they have collected. it may mean more money for you today but when it comes time to call somebody again...

if you can clean whats there you'll be a hero. if you cant you'll just get called when there's no alternative.