Wargames

Thread: Wargames

Wargames

Hey all,
    I was wondering what would be a good topology to have to create a good enviorment for students to have wargames and test some tools - sniffers, scanners, trojans, DoS tools and what not. Im trying to create a practical for a few students that are interested in security. I do have access to cisco routers and switches.

Thank you for your help

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What is the ultimate goal of what you want the students to learn? (BTW, if you check my tutorials you'll find a series on creating wargames -- I've used this effectively for two classes). How to compromise (pen testing) or how to defend (sec admin)?

There are a couple of ways to do it: either use hubs or use switches. Switches would represent more "real world" while hubs makes everything open.

Another option is to build an "abuse" server and have students attempt to break in using the "attacker methodology" (basically -- plan, research, attack, hide). Standard tools that I have my students use include (but not limited to): ethereal, tcpdump, ettercap, nc, ping, traceroute, John the Ripper, L0phtCrack, SubSeven, NetBus, TearDrop, Smurf and whatever else they find. While a lot of this is defendable, generally it's to get them thinking beyond simple setups (which is what most networking programs are about it seems).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thank you very much for your quick reply i will come back with what i have.