Thread: server side languages

server side languages

I'll like know which serverside language is widely used.Both for UNIX and Win32.

Which one is easy to learn and can be used for web security I.E password control etc?

TA

Dr_eVIL

PHP and ASP are the most widely used IME. Both are pretty straightforward, although ASP offers the possibility of using more than one language to write code in, both in 3.0 and in .NET. They are pretty well equally powerful, although ASP.NET may run many things faster.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

For easy to learn I am going to have to say php. It is a very easy to learn language, and it is server side. Can be used on Win and Linux and Unix servers.

Just out of curiousity why do you want server side? I can only think of maybe one advantage to server side over none server side.

Let me know if you have some reasons I haven't thought of.

Elite Hacker
    I think one of the main advantages of server side languages is that you don't have to depend on the client to have something enabled for your site to work. It's all on the server. I have loved php ever since I started using it, and I don't think I will stop loving it any time soon :P. Peace.

ZC you love anything that will give you the time of day.

Yeah that was the thing, I was thinking that, and how you can hide your code when your using server side languages, I can't remember how it is done in php, but I know it can be done, I did it once before when I was learning the language.

Elite Hacker
    Basically with php all the processing code is hidden. The only thing that the user can see is what makes the page, which is the output html. Anything not print or echoed you can't see with php. There are programs I think that will grab php source, but they cost money.

how about coldfusion? can you guys give some feedback?
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

thanks for the info: -

Is php an open source ?

any web site you guys might recommend for a beginner ?

TA

Dr_eVIL

Yes, PHP is open sourced.
    As for a site for beginners, the PHP Manual is the best place to start IMO, though you may want to check out some PHP books if your local library has them.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?