problem w/ HD and S.M.A.R.T

Thread: problem w/ HD and S.M.A.R.T

Banned

problem w/ HD and S.M.A.R.T

Every time I power my system after a while (I guess after it cools down) The BIOS won't find my Maxtor HD (7300/8MB cache/80GB) What I have to do is leave the system on for a while and then reboot it. After that if finds the HD and runs w/out the problem.

But after a long time of having the computer on. Usually I leave it on indefinetly. When I reboot. The S.M.A.R.T feature of the HD tells me that imidiate failure is imminent. I downloaded a special software which checked the SMART and say that the HD is overheated and that it has a f-up spin-up time... Don't know if too fast or slow.

What could be the problem. Do you think my power suplly isn't powerfull enought. 300 only. But why would be a new HD overheating.

Is this a second drive or is it an only drive? Do you have enough space between it and other drives? 80gig Hds tend to run very hot anyway, you might want to invest in a HD cooler.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

********** |ceWriterguy
    Might be not getting 'power good' from the power supply, but most probably is a defective hd. Since you said it was new, I'm assuming you just bought it - take it back and get another.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Originally posted here by |3lack|ce
    Might be not getting 'power good' from the power supply, but most probably is a defective hd. Since you said it was new, I'm assuming you just bought it - take it back and get another.
    Very good advice... unless his problem is being caused by overheating (poor cooling) need to fix the problem first, then return the overheated drive and hope it didn't void the warranty.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Banned
    it'not "that" new ... maybe 6 months... maybe i need to cool it down but

what about the spin up time

SMART is a sort of "intelligence" where the HDD attempts to protect itself.

aeallison is quite right, you need a cooling unit, they cost about $10 and fit into the front of the case. They have two or three little fans that blow cold air over the drive, sucking it in from the front.

Then put an "exhaust" fan at the back....... this takes up an ISA/PCI slot and will shift between 40 and 60 cfm of air out of the box. They probably cost around $5.

"Stale" hot air is a great killer of HDDs in my experience so I always build boxes with the HDD cooler and the exhaust fan these days................and I have not had one returned in 4 years......well not for that reason anyways

Blast From the Past
    just for laughs where do u have the computer sitting?...and yes this matters
    if you have it sititng under a desk the hot air really doesnt leave it just cycles *good in winter for foot warmer * so if you have it under something or really close to the wall try moving it up alittle higher and providing better exaust with the surrounding...but you also need to work on cooling...just moving the box position wont do much
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Banned
    yes it's under the desk in the corrner... thanx hex

i didn't know that cooling the HD is so important.... thanx nihil