Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exchange 2000 Problem

Exchange 2000 Problem

Win2k SBS SP4 with Exchange 2000 on a Dell Poweredge 1.7 GHz machine with 1.5GB of ram.

The Exchange set of services are not starting. I think that it has to do with the IIS admin service not starting. (And other exchange services being dependant on that service) When the server is started, I get 3 errors logged as the following:

The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINNT\system32\w3ctrs.dll" for the "W3SVC" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.

The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINNT\system32\infoctrs.dll" for the "InetInfo" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.

The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINNT\system32\aspperf.dll" for the "ASP" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.
    Now I started at the MS site and found the following on how to unregister and register the services again, but the symptoms in the KB article do not match mine.

KB Article: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;267831

MS says that you should unregister and the reregister the services to get it to not log the warning messages, which does not seem to be a fix to me.

These errors (in the application log) are followed by errors stating that all the exchange services could not start due to the IIS admin service not starting. (In the system log) Restarting the services obviously does not work. (I am using Remote Desktop to access the server remotely)

The only other thing I can think of is that the server just gave me a:

Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records
    failed because no DNS servers are available.
    Event ID 5781
    Source: Net logon

Any thoughts, questions, comments?

Edit: Also the Exchange System Attendant is the only thing that is "starting" when you boot.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Hi, what led to the restarting of services in the 1st place?

Do you have a backup of the metabase.bin file?

Or do you have acess to recent manual IIS config backups as provided in the IIS management
    tool?
    How about a system state backup?

Is this server also the AD server or is there another?

I don't use SBS but have never seen a non SBS setup care if IIS cold load or not to start the
    Exchange Information Store at least regardless of IIS state.

I have used this article in the past to get similar problems going again..

May not apply to SBS tho...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...oduct=exch2003

This is a friends company (Small Business) and I dont know the state of their backups. I will ask what they have backed up.

This is the only server in the network and Active Directory is installed.

Thanks, I will check out the link.

Edit: The server was frozen in the morning and not serving email. Friend goes to the server to reboot it and it will not even login to the server. He hits the reboot switch and exchange does not start.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Another thing to look at is disk space.
    Exchange services will not start if disk space is low on the drive where Exchange is installed.

Another thing I would look at but from your post, it seems your logging is running.
    IF the event logging service is dead for some reason, Exchange will not start if the event
    logger is not starting.

Happy to help look if you get more info..

Space should not be a problem. The drive is partitioned into 2 partitions. 10-12GB (I believe) for the C drive and 70GB for the other drive that houses exchange.

The first drive has 2GB free and the second drive has 30 GB free. (Also used as a fileshare for the office)

Exchange logging is logging SMTP traffic because some bastard was sending out a lot of email through their server.

I will be in front of the machine in about 3 hours. If I dont get another suggestion, I am going to try and backup and restore exchange.

AOs Resident Troll
    See if you can try re applying the Exchange and Server service packs...

Has worked for me when I have problems with Exchange 2K.

Does the server have Internet access...is it working...I have seen exchange throw a fit if it cant find a DNS server???

Also stop any AV from scanning the M:\ drive...it a virtual drive and you can corrupt your exchange by scanning it with 3rd party utilities

HTHs

MLF
    EDIT

After you do that...reboot and run the Internet Connection wizard ( just saw the SBS beside your post)...this resets your local and internet connections
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

No antivirus running. (Another bone I have to pick with him) I am doing a remote desktop into the machine, so I assume (and I could be wrong) that they are not having internet access problems. SBS uses ISA server as a firewall/proxy, so that could be another issue.

Thanks for the ideas. I may backup everything and try reapplying the SP.

AOs Resident Troll
    CXGJAROD

Is there an online backup being done...if not the log files do not get cleared

Exchange on the SBS has a 16gig limit....

I have had the same problem with SBS 2k and the exchange SP 2 ( I believe) brings it back to life....but reapply all SPs...then run the internet connection wizard...although it stops and starts all related services.....so you may lose your TS connection.

MLF

They have setup a backup to an Iomega rev drive. I dont know if it has ran yet or not. It was supposed to run a 1am everynight, but it was mentioned that they might of had a problem with it. There are 650 MB of Exchange logs currently on the server. (Just the SMTP logs) I will take out the backup drive just in case that could be an issue. (When I get to their office)

AOs Resident Troll
    Excellent site for troubleshooting the MS Small Business Server

http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=53

MLF