As if we didn't need another language

Thread: As if we didn't need another language

As if we didn't need another language

To program in... now we have, D! Anyone else sensing a... trend here?

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

EDIT: Here's the traditional "Hello World!" program in D:

Code:
     import std.c.stdio;

int main()
    {
     printf("hello world\n");
     return 0;
    }
    Tell me if you think I\'m spamming or doing something stupid, please.

The major problem with D is that it's a proprietary language,
    not an open standard..

For major (market) adoptation of any programming language, it needs to be free (as in speech, not beer)
    I know only of a couple of projects written in D.

Also investing time in a non open standard like D is a risky investment, at a certain point they might just stop the project and you'll end up like the VAX-VMS admin, picking half eaten burgers out of the trashbin..

http://linuxlab.dk/openstandards/
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

After reading the link you posted about Open Standard, I have to thank you greatly, Jinx. If something's that bad, then that puts me off alot. And, on another forum, someone pointed out to me that there's no class heirarchy... which really makes me steer away from it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Tell me if you think I\'m spamming or doing something stupid, please.

Custom User
    lol...it doesn't look like a bad language, that wasn't what Jinx was saying AFAIK. Jinx was just trying to get you to watch out because it's not an open standard. One thing to watch out for is the fact that if you write in D, and it is not widely accepted, it could be a bitch to maintain (assumming you didn't end up maintaining whatever you wrote in it).

It looks interesting, however, but the thing is that the author freely admits that his site is biased towards D, so (for example) the feature list could be somewhat misleading.

ac

Doesn't look like a language I'd be interested in learning because it looks pretty much (the coding) similar to C++ so if I wanted to learn that language I would rather learn a more powerfull language like C++. D will probably next come out with D++, basically I think it's pretty much a ripoff of C/C++.
    Although it's probably easier to learn than D and the tutorials might (not sure, haven't read) be easier to understand than some C/C++ tutorials, it'll probably be a good language for some beginners to start out with to get the feel of C/C++ coding which would probably make it easier for them to learn C/C++.
    But I only had experience with mIRC scripting, and since I've been looking for a language to learn, I went from Java, to Visual Basic, to Python and finally I decided to learn C++ with a book I found very good to begin with called "C++ By Example" (Authors name not available at the moment because the book is downstairs). It teaches you C++ with examples (something I found very helpful) using a program made by the author which is included in the CD in the book but can also be downloaded from the internet. If you are considering learning D give C++ a shot with that book first.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!