Thread: CD-RW woes........what's wrong?

CD-RW woes........what's wrong?

Hi guys ,
    Ihave a strange problem with my CD-RW drive. I have a LG 24x10x40x CDRW drive, it was working fine from last one year. Suddenly it has stopped working as writer i.e. it acts only s CD-ROM only. Windows (XP Home Edition SP2) recogniz it perfectly as it earlier did, there was no problem screen.
    just when i try to write or erase a CD-R or CD-RW , starts it work then after 10 sec both lights( reading light and green -writing light) stop blinking and CD is ejected , but work is not done.
    I tried this drive on other computers and it workes fine there as if no problem. I also tried nero,burn4free, HIGH MAt writing support from microsoft. And i even reinstalled windows and it is patched till SP2 .

Ok it is vague idea ....can .NEt framework be the reason because as far as i can remember it went wrong after i installed .net framework. this is only i have not tried yet because had some programs that exclusively depends on it. If any u guys experienced it tell me, till then i'm looking for programmes alternatives.
    :-)
    Well it's only forum with hardware written on it so move this message to correct forum if it is wrong here .. thanx
    It\'s all about sense of power.

I have a similar device (LG 16x10x40x) and have not had this problem.

Did it ever work properly since you installed SP2 (my XPPro is still at SP1)?

Have you cleared out the temporary files?, maybe you have overflowed memory/cache somwhere?

Have you got the latest drivers?

Also it wouldn't do any harm to run a cleaning disk in it 2 or 3 times

just a few thoughts

Yes it worked fine till i installed SP2 and also .net Framework , even i have also reinstalled my windowz, still no use. And just upgraded to latest driver.
    Any idea it may be SP2 but then don't you think it is necessary or it is okay with firewall and antivirus?
    Thanx for concern

With the greatest respect Sir, I would suspect SP2 and .net

I am on SP1 and do not intend to change.............I know that there are issues with my hardware, so why cause myself problems?

If MS get it "right" I will upgrade, otherwise it is a case of:

"Install SP2....you have better security...........because your machine will not work"

I am truly sorry that I could not help you

Johnno

dont think about .net framework. i have this cd-burner on xp/sp1 and .net framework and is working fine....

that is odd... works on other pcs but not on this one...
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

now i even tested on one linux machine during daytime and worked perfectly fine there, so i think i will roll back sp2 and try it .... on this machine.
    nihil not being paranoid i had SP2 just to be sure that there is no problem with windows but i think it is more safe to have this basic initial install and then use secure software than these space consuming and now hardware buster Service Packs.

I have heard reports of various compatibility issues with SP2...............some AMD processors for example.

If you have a good firewall and AV set up, and practice sensible computing you should be quite safe with SP1.

I am personally waiting for the bugs and issues to be found and resolved before updating this machine.

Have you tried a different CD drive on the machine with SP2? funnily enough that might work.

Cheers