hiding AIM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hiding AIM

hiding AIM

just wondering if there is any program or tweak you can make to aim or GAIM that allows you to hide all IM windows? for example if you're at work and you want to hide aim and not let any new msgs pop up on your screen.

thanks
    ~jim~

First I would like to tell you to be careful. Chatting with a buddy ain't worth losing you job over. Also, a sys admin can tell if you are chatting on AIM.

But here is a proggy that works like that with a keystroke it hides and with a keystroke it appears.
    http://www.iconcave.com/item.php?type=p&id=7&load=1

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

You can always right click on AIM, then click on "exit" then wait until you get home to use it.

[joke]LOL then they blame it on Bush if they lose their job [/joke]

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Here is the thing. Hiding the icon will only stop a human from seeing it on your desktop. All I have to do as an admin is look at traffic destine for oscar.aol.com on port 5190 and you are PWN3D. Don't be a dumbass, your admins will see your IM traffic no matter what you hide at the desktop level.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I know it just hides the screen, I realize anyone can view the traffic. Thanks for the link MilitantEidolon, thats exactly what I was looking for. we use AIM at my office for work and I get 20 ims at once sometimes and I need to not have it interrupting my coding all day. So if I can hide it and view the msgs when I'm done what I'm working on that would help me out alot.

thanks
    ~jim~

First I would like to tell you to be careful. Chatting with a buddy ain't worth losing you job over. Also, a sys admin can tell if you are chatting on AIM.
    Here is the thing. Hiding the icon will only stop a human from seeing it on your desktop. All I have to do as an admin is look at traffic destine for oscar.aol.com on port 5190 and you are PWN3D. Don't be a dumbass, your admins will see your IM traffic no matter what you hide at the desktop level.
    You can always right click on AIM, then click on "exit" then wait until you get home to use it.
    Just wanted you to see the responses on the idea.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Originally posted here by cobain_attacks
    we use AIM at my office for work and I get 20 ims at once sometimes and I need to not have it interrupting my coding all day.
    This may be stating the obvious, but why not just turn the damm thing off when your coding

Cheers:
    DjM

because I have to have it on for tech support issues I'm the programming contact for tech support. and they want me to keep it on
    ~jim~

Originally posted here by cobain_attacks
    because I have to have it on for tech support issues I'm the programming contact for tech support. and they want me to keep it on
    But when your hiding the messages, isn't it rather pointless even having it on?

Cheers:
    DjM

not at all....
    I dont want msgs popping up when I'm in the middle of writing a line of code

how annoying would this be... exit AIM, start coding, Start AIM, check msgs, Exit Aim, start coding (lose all conversations I was just having) etc...
    its alot nicer to click CNRL + Y to get back and fourth.
    ~jim~