Thread: Biometric

Biometric

Biometric security for computers. I was thinking about buying the USB fingerprinting for my laptop, its only 70 dollars and I was wondering if anyone has had any use with this or knows any cons. I have done research, seems very pleasing.

Thanks in Advance

Biometrics finger scanners, and retna (sp) aren't really needed. Be honest with yourself how many people are going to really be trying to access your computer that much. How many people are going to be do anything to your box, at your house. If you think about it, not that many.

There really isn't much need for them, unless you have some really really important ****, that you think someone is going to be trying to get to.

If I remember correctly, and this is off the top of my head, and a while ago. If you take a plastic glove drop a little baby powder on the surface, and use the gloove, you will get it. I can't remember if that is still an issue but I know it once was.

Biometrics finger scanners, and retna (sp) aren't really needed. Be honest with yourself how many people are going to really be trying to access your computer that much. How many people are going to be do anything to your box, at your house. If you think about it, not that many.
    While this may be true... it still does have a wow factor to it and people will always ask about it and what it is and how it works. i have one that is in a pcmcia card that slides into my laptop. I liked it just fine for the first year..... problems with it, i noticed if I moistened my hand it would always work but the biggest problem is the heat....

What happens is the heat builds up and then the scanner doesnt work properly so I still have to resort to manually typing in my password, a precaution I took incase this happened. Now what happens when it heats up is i get a bar that runs across the entire scanner and this blocks half my finger print so it cant pick it up therefore it doesnt work. What I would recommend is that you read the links that were given to you and then decide if you are doing this for the cool tech geeky wow factor or if there is actually a purpose to it. Me personally, the geeky wow factor, and it makes a great ice breaker for independent contracting.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

The Iceman Cometh
    Just FYI, Microsoft just released a bunch of mice and keyboards with biometrics built in. I know it's for a laptop, but they're still pretty nice considering they do a helluva lot more than just biometric scans. Here's their hardware site (just updated yesterday or today): http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/default.mspx

AJ