Genesis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis

Genesis

NASA's Genesis return capsule crashed into the desert...
    More here.

Why they just drop it to the sea like in the 60's?? Just in case the parachute didn't work...

Hiting water at high speeds is almost as bad as hitting sand. But good question, perhaps the capsule didn't float? I Hope the containers are intact.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hope so... or why they didn't do the same as with mars ships and put the airbags? (I know that they only work with prachute help....).

I mean, how are they putting all their trust in a pair of freezed "fireworks" when it costs 6 years and 260 m $ reach there?????!!!!

lol Mars might not have enough atmosphere to catch a parachute. Need some sort of heavy enough gas...
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

This one was designd by the same dope who built the begal probe.. oddly hes going to get a third shot at wasting millions of dollars.....oh well
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

********** |ceWriterguy
    From what I saw on FoxNews (so take it with a grain of salt) the wafers (containing the samples) contained onboard Genesis were extremely fragile, too fragile in fact for the jolt of a normal parachute landing. If this is the case, a ditch into the ocean even under parachute would destroy them as well. The original plan was to have 2 helicopters snag the chutes and carry Gen to a safe landing - the stunt pilots that Nasa had chartered to do this had performed the drills admirably, never missing their target. Unfortunately for Nasa, those pesky parachutes failed to deploy. I wonder who's butt is going to fry over this one?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Science is not foolproof. Do it again. It amazed me how much Nasa does, they got probes everywhere and they have a pretty small chunk of the budget.
    West of House

Apparently the info that it gathered was stored on delicate silicon disks that even when returning to earth with the parachute deployed they were scared would damage it. hence why they had the pilots out to try and catch it

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    What I don't understand is why they didn't just go up in space in a shuttle, pick it up, and bring it back.
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

To intercept the incoming trajectory with the space shuttle would be impossible or at the very least exceedingly difficult not to mention adding another couple of billion dollars to the price tag. Not to mention we don't have a working shuttle at the moment that could pull off the mission. Not to mention the hurricanes make the shuttle take off impossible. The shuttle can only take off in excellent weather so to time the capture of an incomming rocket with "excellent" weather doesn't calulate too well. The probe would have to slow down and orbit somehow until we could get it back and that orbit would have to be predictable as to where the probe would be in space time on a give day.
    West of House