Troubleshooting on home network!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting on home network!!

Troubleshooting on home network!!

Hi there ppl!!

I seam to use this forum alot latley for help! (yesterday was a hardware problem) today, a configuration of "that same hardware".

I have a litle home network of 2 Pc´s, they are linked by a crossover cable <--> shall i say, a direct connect without a router.

The main objective is acomplished, have internet access on the second computer!

But today i whanted to install Quake III on the second machine to play along with my cousin, and i didnt whanted to place certain files on a CD just to install them there, so i figured why not use the network..thats another advantage, but when i try to access the PC of my fathers from mine i cant..and vice versa..it says:

\\Augusto-blábláblá its not accessible. You may not have the permissions to access this resource of the network. Contact Your System Administrator to know if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

I had to translate this +/- because its in Portuguese.

The same message here, and the same message in the other PC..but the net its fine, my father can access the net really fast just has i can, only it seams that i cannot access his shared folder and neither can he to mine.

What can i do, or should do so that this works fine?

We both have XP Pro and both use Windows Firewall, and SP-1

Thanx!!!
    Owmen

Regal Making Handler
    Disable the firewall on both pc's. As a first measure.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

But...i will be unprotected!!!! Well, i have Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm Pro and Macfee Internet Suite butttttttt...for management the windows its best for my father, has im always travelling and he stays alone with the PCs...

Isnt there other ways??
    Owmen

Also allow sharing of folders on both machines which you want to share , you can find this option when you right click a folder and choose properties. I think this can help.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

Regal Making Handler
    Xp's firewall is your problem. I didn't mean turn it off for ever, just for trouble shooting purposes. If your network then works as required, you can then look for ways to configure the firewall to accept the connection you need.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I have the folder i whant has shared, but the problem is, from my father PC i cannot access MSHome, and from this PC, i can, but when i click on the name of my fathers PC it says what i said on the first Post.

I think i will try to put the net down for a whille, unplug the USB cable and see if with the firewalls down i can..but still, why the heck cant i access with protection (firewall?) ...and besides, its all Microsoft-shi* software...
    Owmen

Regal Making Handler
    Xp's and xp sp1 firewall is very limited in it's configuration and settings. Xp sp2 firewall is more configurable. (is updating to service pack 2 an option?) If you can not get your network to work as required using xp firewall. Look into using one of the firewalls you listed earlier.

Back, i tried and i have good and bad news (for me lol of course).

Good news

1st - with the XP firewall down i can acess my fathers PC from here, really fast

2st - i can acess MSHome from my fathers PC and see the name of my PC there

Bad news

1st - i cannot acess mine from there because it asks me for a username and a password ... ???

Well, has i only whant to pass a few files to there and vice versa once in a whille, i dont see the need to use other firewalls, but, has for SP-2 i have a doubt:

I havnt found SP-2 in Portuguese, but i have it in English, can i use it anyway?

And i would really apreciate if any of u guys could tell-me what to do has for the Username a Password, why? and what can i do to make it normal, has from mine to my father..

Thanx for the patience!
    Owmen

Do you have any password settings on that computer presently? A password protected logon perhaps?

AngelicKinght, thats right, i didnt remember that...lol

Has for the SP-2, can u help me out with the question?

Thanx alot

Cheers
    Owmen