no javac in suse 9.1

Thread: no javac in suse 9.1

BANNED

no javac in suse 9.1

I reinstalled SuSE the other day. It's the first time in a while that I've had linux running. Everything has been going good with it except I wrote a program in java and when I went to compile it I got unknown command for javac.
    For future refernce to anyone trying to do this who may need it spelled out for them. javaSDK is not installed with the default instaltion of personal. I don't know about professional. What you need to do is go to java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html and download the rpm.bin.
    Go to the directory and type
    chmod u+x j2sdk-*.bin
    ./j2sdk-1_4_2_05-*.bin
    rpm -Uvh j2sdk-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.rpm

Then a couple more things to set the path.
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05/bin
    export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:.

Now you should just be able to type
    javac programname.java
    java programname

The reason I'm putting this here is because it took me two days to figure this out reading through the documentation not knowing what I was looking for. Asking on forums and getting Oh you just neede to set the path to so and so and not getting a straight answer. I hope it helps someone out in the future.
    SuSE offers a free copy of SuSE personal at http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...l_iso_int.html if anyone wants to try it out. Or you can get it at www.linuxiso.org.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

This may be some useful information for you, but the Personal edition of SUSE Linux, is made for home users. The same ones that Windows XP home is made for. Meaning it's a stripped down version of the big boy. I always recommend that anyone using SUSE go for the Professional edition. It's only like 4 dollars more, and you get A LOT. Like more than any other distro of Linux gives.

I know Professional has Java compile tools, as I have some installed for when I need to toss something together fast. It has the GCC-Java compiler, Jikes from IBM, and a few others.

Banned
    Or install Slackware which comes with it standard... but muert0, yea, like gore said, SuSE personal sucks, with some help from Syini I was able to install GCC through RPMs and etc. But if I were to give Linux another shot, I'd do a VMWare session with Slack.

BANNED
    I'm getting professional as soon as I get the money. I'm just using this temporarily until then.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...