Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem During Windows Update

Problem During Windows Update

I was running a windows update and my computer crashed, at first i thought nothing of it so restarted my computer and when my computer started up it was fine until i tried to play some music i get a dialogue box saying that i had no sound card installed which i know is untrue as it played my music fine before.

Does anyoe know if there is a way to sort this out?

I dont know if its any help but when my computer crashed it was installing a media player update.
    [glowpurple][shadow]I Mourn For Those Who Never Knew You[/shadow][/glowpurple]

Try to uninstall the update/application then install it again.

You might find the Belarc Advisor software useful, as it will show you the updates that have/have not worked.

Good luck

EDIT: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

While up-dating and the crash the sound card drivers could be damaged is it an on board sound card ? or just your typical plug in and install ? also what OS ? XP usually recognises new hardware install try pulling it out and putting it back in or install drivers from disk or vendors website

good luck
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Hrmm, I think prodikal nailed it on the head. I would run scandisk as it would fix any errors and whatnot on your system (shouldn't it have run on startup since the shutdown was irregular?). If that doesn't work, try un-installing then re-installing like nihil stated and also run that program.

/me is off to download that program, nihil (it sounds nice, could come in handy )
    Space For Rent.. =]

Lacking info on what OS it is...
    Windows 9? series sometime would screw up
    the sound drivers...A big pain...
    There was one sound card out there that did not have
    any updated drivers opti cards ???
    XP usually was not a problem except that
    some older monitors did not like XP...
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Highlander make's a good point, I know that there used to be problems with Win98 and it's sound driver's. They constantly screwed up, especially during irregular/forced shutdowns. I've never experienced it personally but I've heard this can happen. A few more details on your system would help.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Oh yeah sorry, i run windows 98 SE, my computer did check for errors but i skipped it, but since then i have fixed the error but still no sound.

Prodikal, by on board sound card do you mean one thats internal? Because my soud card is iside my computer.

How would i uninstall an update?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Onboard sound means that the chipset is an integral part of the motherboard. Otherwise it is a card that is plugged into the motherboard (usually a PCI slot..............the white ones) and can be removed.

If you look at the Belarc Advisor report it will tell you which updates did not work.

Go:

<start>
    <control panel>
    <add/remove programs>

and look for them there.

Incidentally, have you tried to re-run the update. Windows might detect that the first attempt did not work properly and give it another shot.

Good luck

Theres a windows media player update, how about removing that and then updating it would that work?

When i went on the site after my computer crashed and it showed the update as though i hadnt installed it.

In which case, please try to run the update again.

The Belarc trick is best for when MS thinks that you have the update, but it is actually corrupt/didn't work

Good luck