Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AO guest account?

AO guest account?

For the first time ever, I needed to log into the site as "guest" b/c I didn't want to enter my username and password on a particular computer (that I'll be limited to for several hours a week...with nothing else to do but surf the net) but I wanted to post a comment or two on the site today. So I tried logging in as "guest" and "Guest" with like 15 different passwords for each (and tried logging in without a password...as it is a "guest" account). I was getting frustrated b/c I know I've seen people log in as guests before - with no APs allowed and no post count or w/e....am I losing my mind?

i think you are refering to some titles that appears on users from time to time, but i think that those appears because the person was banned in a special way..

anyway you are not loosing.... you already lost your mind
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Er.. Isn't a guest just a visitor... A lurker... They can read stuff but they can't post etc....

Should I say "Duh" or can you say it for yourself?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Lol, I know that TS but I've seen posts from accounts called "guest", so that makes me wonder... Anyway, if it's not possible to login as "guest" then would anyone be opposed to me making a seperate account just for use when I'm away and want to post but don't want to potentially give my account away? I could have something in my signature like "My 'away' account - plz send negs, greenies, and PMs to 'keezel'". I doubt I'd use it for anything other than logging in from skool or friends' houses, and public computers in general anyway.

Weren't guests allowed to post when JP was the owner, after a while he disabled it though, but i think i saw a recent post by "Guest" too !

Admins-shed some light on this !
    O.G at A.O

Posts from accounts with the "guest" thing are from back when guests were allowed to post. Either that (or in GreekGoddesses case) it was a request. This is AFAIK by the way..
    Space For Rent.. =]

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hehe, yeah, let's bring up that GG thing again where we see where more favoritism is shed to light, rofl...

Back on track, if I were to have a message board (which I do), I disable any logins that try to create anything that resembles the word "Guest". It's already set up in phpBB as a default association if the person's not registered and posts in open forums. I also never have anything in my forums available for "guest" posting because it's simply too abused. Register, or just lurk and read...one or the other and I don't have the time to sit around looking at IP logs from the web server trying to find the "guest" who rants, raves, and harasses actual members...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Vorlin: Concerning the GG thing, I dunno wtf your talking about..
    Space For Rent.. =]

BANNED
    What's wrong with just logging in and logging out?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Cookies. Logging. Unwanted prying eyes. I realize that this is bordering on paranoia, but it's a legitimate concern.

As for the GG thing - I know she has access to the "guest" account but I dunno wtf anyone means by favoritism or w/e. Anyhow it has no place in this thread...

After thinking about it, I agree with the policy to not allow people to just log in as "guest" because it opens the door to all sorts of trouble. Such as people posting and signing other member's names to the post... My question remains - why can't I just use a seperate, "throw-away" account to use on public computers?