Thread: Microsoft under your thumb

AO French Antique News Whore

Microsoft under your thumb

Microsoft is set to introduce a new line of keyboards and mice Wednesday, including models with built-in fingerprint readers.

Unlike most current implementations of biometrics, the new keyboard, mouse and standalone fingerprint reader use the technology not for security but convenience. The accompanying software memorizes the passwords Web surfers have to remember to get around the Web and automatically supplies the right password, once the fingerprint reader verifies who's there.

"Our focus was to tackle the convenience problem," said Tom Gibbons, general manager of Microsoft's hardware group. "We want to get the problem to the point where you only have to remember one password--for logging on--and we want that to be the strong password."

The new offerings also include a wireless mouse intended for laptop users on the go, with a small USB receiver that packs away into the bottom of the mouse for traveling. New wired and wireless keyboards offer improved ergonomics and an adjustable slider control for zooming in and out of documents and photos.

Microsoft is also revamping its Bluetooth-powered wireless mouse and keyboard to support connections to multiple devices, but customers will need to install the problematic Service Pack 2 for Windows XP to use either of them.

The new products incorporate a wealth of small enhancements to improve comfort, usability and convenience, Gibbons said, many of which are the result of Microsoft's ongoing research.

"Its a huge benefit being able to tap into $6 billion worth of R&D on an annual basis," Gibbons said. "We benefit a lot from what Microsoft learns about how people interact with their PCs."

The fingerprint reader-equipped keyboard and mouse sell for $104 together, $84 for the mouse alone or $64 for the standalone fingerprint reader. Prices for other new hardware products range from $45 for Microsoft's wireless notebook mouse to $149 for a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combination. All products are available now or will be later in September.
    Source : http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5349583.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Elite Hacker
    laziness, or maybe it's a good thing.
    /me shrugs.
    I'm the only user on my computer, and I won't even let it remember my username for any site, much less my password.

and then will come a little privacy line in end of eula that will say this software will just communicate with microsoft to help you better and then we will have our complete database with microsoft for sites we use for our daily purposes. Isn't it something like windows media player , all in name of enhancing your computing experience and to help you better.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Looking at the post here concerning users not being able to do anything with anything complex or third-party, how would this make life easier? These are the same users who can't update their AV (if they HAVE one), never patch their box even if AU IS turned on, etc...yeah, I see where this goes! Hehe...

Then again, it could be easier, who knows..but it's subject to exploit, just like everything else ever made...remember UPNP?

I just read the article again and wonder how this fingerprint reader will function after a buncha greasy fingers are used, etc... And what happens when your keyboard crashes? ROFL!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

is all you do is post articles sdk?

AO French Antique News Whore
    Yeap! It's my contribution to the community!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

roffles and i bet as soon as they come out with the new mice and keyboards to save passwords and usernames im sure there will be the new breed of hackers out there to get into your mouse and keyboards. ahahhaha i think ill just stick to my own old school keyboard and ball mouse

I would rather trust my brain for storin passwords and usernames rather than some software or hardware. Atleast I will know about it when i loose it and then it won't matter. :-)
    It\'s all about sense of power.