Thread: How was it done.....?

Angry How was it done.....?

Hi all,
    Ok the problem is this and i can't figure out how was it done.
    I have this email id on one of web mail provider which i use only for filling forms etc on net(i.e) totally to get my spam on this id only. now i don't send mail from this id to any of my private id or to my friends. now today i received a blank mail with a virus as zip attachment to one of my private mail ID and i don't have any idea how this was done?
    Do any of you can help me out on this?
    It\'s all about sense of power.

To clarify.. so I know im giving the right advice..

You have a Spam email account that you use to signup to webpages etc.. spam@email.com ..now since you use spam@email.com you were hoping yourrealemail@email.com -- the one you only use with friends would be safe.

Now.. this personal email that only your friends have got an email with a virus attachment and you want to know how.

I can almost guerentee one of your friends became infected with a massmailer virus. These viruses harvested your friends computer (Scanned it file by file) looking for email addresses... it then uses those email addresses to send itself out. Sometimes it will spoof (fake) the sender name as well (to look like it came from your friend) or sometimes it just choses something random.

Hope this helps you
    jer
    Dyn/Gnosis ~ Powerful/Knowledge
    www.Dyngnosis.com
    Tutorials - Site Penetration Logs - (TheCommunity)Forums - Toolss

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    have you posted your address on any sites? it could be that one of your contacts was/is infected with a worm or something and emailed you this email from their address book! Does the email have any information in the header or an email address?

No here case is that i got mail from spam@email.com to my myrealemail@email.com , that is buzzing me off as i don't have any trace of my real email in my spam email id.

Elite Hacker
    So you want to know how to send a blank email with a zipped virus as an attachment to someone's private email?

Lightbulb Maybe Dynagnosis has it...

and what you describe:

No here case is that i got mail from spam@email.com to my myrealemail@email.com , that is buzzing me off as i don't have any trace of my real email in my spam email id.
    is purely coincidence? Perhaps the spoofed email address in the sent email with .zip attachement just happens to be your spam email account. It is feasible that it could happen. I would say this would be a rare occurence. Perhaps you should check your lottery ticket, you might have won! ;o)
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Did you provide your real mailbox address as part of the signup process when you got the spam mailbox? If so, how sure are you that their data base is 1) secure and 2) not sold or otherwise shared?

any chance your computer became infected. this would be the obvious answer. and your sure no one else has that address? have you accessed the spam account from any other computer? some viruses dont just use the addressbook. some scour temporary internet files for email addresses amoung other places. someone could be using a spam list that both your accounts appear on to spread the virus.

what virus was it? what mail service?

to add to what GandalfTheGray said, its totally possible that the provider of your [spam] email service got infected. if you gave your real email address to sign up...there ya go!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

no there was no real information when i signed up for spam mail id and i never use it for any other purposes just for accessing sites that require you to provide your email id even for small details thats all.
    But yeah it can be coincidence that :
    Perhaps the spoofed email address in the sent email with .zip attachement just happens to be your spam email account. It is feasible that it could happen. I would say this would be a rare occurence."
    but i was just thinking what if it not coincidence and can it be done like this?