Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Built in Firewall in XP SP2, how good is it?

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Built in Firewall in XP SP2, how good is it?

So, who all has played around with the built-in firewall for XP Service Pack 2? I’ve played with it a bit and it seems pretty good, unless there is some unknown exploit for the built in firewall is there any reason to go with a different free solution (for XP that is) like Zone Alarms?

Banned
    It's not an alternative for a third-party software firewall, since there is no outgoing connection control.

I like that it's on by default, though. For some weird reason, Remote Assistance is enabled by default through the Exceptions Tab.

The logging options are pretty decent (log dropped packets, log succesful connections).

Hoopy Frood
    If it's true that it doesn't allow program control, how is it any better than the one that's built into XP right now? (Honest question.)

Regards,
    James
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Banned
    At least it has more options than "off" and "on"
    It does allow program control, but only incoming. You can select the programs to allow, you can select the port/service,...

If it's true that it doesn't allow program control, how is it any better than the one that's built into XP right now?
    Read these:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...ite%20paper.doc
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/ar...res_Review.html

Re: Built in Firewall in XP SP2, how good is it?

Originally posted here by Irongeek
    So, who all has played around with the built-in firewall for XP Service Pack 2? I’ve played with it a bit and it seems pretty good, unless there is some unknown exploit for the built in firewall is there any reason to go with a different free solution (for XP that is) like Zone Alarms?
    Irongeek, I remember you form HDC how much are you pushing now in terms of free weights?

It is a shame that Microsoft is under so much pressure to sink its system to the level of the lowest common denominator. Firewalls on by default? More secure configuration by default? Because thousands os System Admins are too stupid and lazy to read the damned TFM? Very, very sad.
    :echo:

Irongeek, I remember you form HDC how much are you pushing now in terms of free weights?
    Damn, do we have some other jocks in here? Lets hear some numbers! Post or PM....

As for the firewall, I would rather have my program control, and AFAIK the new xp one doesn't do that? Helps prevent malware.

Through my dealings with it, I'd say the firewall was fairly decent to start you off with. Turn it on when you first install XP and leave it on until you download a better, more effiecient firewall (such as OutPost, Sygate, Kerio, etc).
    Space For Rent.. =]

Re: Re: Built in Firewall in XP SP2, how good is it?

Originally posted here by !mitationRust

It is a shame that Microsoft is under so much pressure to sink its system to the level of the lowest common denominator. Firewalls on by default? More secure configuration by default? Because thousands os System Admins are too stupid and lazy to read the damned TFM? Very, very sad.
    :echo:
    Most people (probably 99%) who use windows have little or no computer knowledge and therefore windows should have a default secure install , for everyones sake.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

However, many of those people who don't know anything about computers also use XP HOME -- which in the past already had many of the networking features turned off, I think that because of these types of users are the majority Microsoft had to move to protect them (which in turn does create some headaches for sysadmins when sp2 autoinstalls and breaks stuff)

while XP Firewall doesn't block outgoing programs automatically, it does prompt you whether or not to block/unblock a program -- does this mean it can communicate out but not listen for incoming communication (that is not initated by the program)??
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM