Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To learn C or C++ ?

To learn C or C++ ?

Which one should i start with? Any books to recommend for reading...i have basic foundation in C++/Java

C++ is the parent language of C# and Java.. either or C++ or Java will give you a good intro to object orientated programming and since most of the syntax between the two is similar, once you pick one, you'll pick up the other quite quickly. As for a book, you can always go to the book store and pick up one of the beginner books for either language.. most of them tend to be good and have the same material.. but I recommend you take a class... reading a book and trying to code bv yourself is one thing and having an actual instructor help you along when you're stuck, explain it, and give you problems to try is far different and better in my opinion...

- dave

well from my experience i'll say C++ is more easy to learn and also it is object oriented programming that in laymen terms mean that it is easy as well as little high end language
    but C has its own advantages it is highly customizable and low level that means you can have device drivers and other stuff easily programmed into C, so basically you learn depending upon what your motives are.
    Hope i presented you right picture :-)
    It\'s all about sense of power.

Custom User
    I wouldn't agree with that. C is no more low level than C++; they are both high level languages. The syntax between the languages is virtually identical. The main differences AFAIK is the libraries that each use, and the functions, and obviously the fact that C++ is object oriented.

If you can learn C++, you can learn C...

ac

Because i already have some basics in C++ and Java. So i am not sure to continue my C++ or should start from C. since C++ is a subset of C.

Custom User
    I would say if you already know some java and C++, go for C++ (if it really has to be between C++ and C; otherwise keep learning java). The thing is, though, what will you be doing with it. If you have no particular reason for learning a language and are simply learning for the sake of learning, then C++ should be fine, but if you were interesting in certain specifics like altering other programs, then it would really depend on the language.

ac

Ninja Code Monkey
    C++ is not the parent of C# and Java although they do share the c syntax. This thread is full of alot of bad info.

I'd recommend picking up C++ and grabbing the following books:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...e&s=books&st=*

C++ is a superset of c (so it contains everything in c), so you can use c code if you wish. Alot of c programming is frowned upon however in c++ because there are safer, cleaner ways to do things.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

when i said c is low level i didn't mean it was anyway less than c++, what i meant was that it can be used to directly code for hardware ,more easily than C++ which is suitable for ,you know , software purposes.
    As far as developing good programming skills are concerned C makes you to apply your brain whereas in C++ due to its object oriented programming benefit , things are lot easier.
    So what iwas suggesting that if somebody is learning programming just for sake of programming and have to choose between C and C++ than go for C++.
    Its easier to learn and helps you get the jist of programming and from there onwards you can choose your own path.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

Ninja Code Monkey
    I'd have to disagree. Most of the programmers I've dealt with who have taught themselves c first and have then gone to c++ have put out some of the worst code I've ever seen. I'd really recommend looking into what kind of development you want to do, picking a related language, and then learning good development practices. Picking up the syntax of a language is simple...you need to focus on good design, good practices and writing clean code, etc.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Juiridian, page 5 in C++: A Beginner's Guide Second Edition by Herbert Schildt..

C++ is the parent for both Java and C#. Although both Java and C# added, removed, and modified various features, in total the syntax for these three languages is nearly identical.