Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Server 2003, creating a user remotely.

Unhappy Windows Server 2003, creating a user remotely.

Okay, I had posted a thread recently asking why I couldn't log on to my Windows 2003 Server PC. I enter the correct password:
    "Looking for your personal settings"
    "Applying your personal settings"
    "Logging Off"
    "Saving your personal settings"

You see where those asterisks are? That's where user interaction would normally take place.
    The problem: I didn't interact at all. It just logs me off.

I'm on my laptop now. I'm logged in is the Administrator to the domain. How can I create another user on my desktop, so as to log in? Can I do it remotely? If not, any suggestions other than "Linux", or "reinstall Windows"?
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Do you have a the remote connection manager set up? This way you can log onto the machine with the correct permissions as if you were locally there.

I would suggest setting up a separate user for remote connection on the local machine so that there is no way your admin name/pass could be taken.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Thing is, I can't get on the other PC (with Win2003 Server). Though, when it's on, this laptop has access to ALL files and folders, including f:\windows. anything i can do? any ideas?

Did you try a reboot?

So let me get this straight you cannot log onto the system when you are sitting in front of it? But you can access the files from another computer on the network?

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

that is correct. and i've rebooted a thousand times. i started the install process, and am running the repair option now...but it's *incredibly* slow....ugh.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    other thoughts,

perhaps your have malware that is denying you to login, however it has no control over netword access???
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

No control over network access...nada, zilch, zero. It just affects local login. And while browsing the server (cuz the root drive is a default share (*flicks off Gates*)) i found another user in Docs and Settings..same results. half-way login, then logout. its doing the repair still...im setting up Windows. ill let you know how it goes when it's done.

A_T

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    thats what i meant.

whatever you have (malware or whatever) is affecting local login and will not let it happen. however, it might have no malicious control over network access, which is why its working fine remotely...

?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

It sounds like you may have a profile issue on the box. You may want to ranem the profile for that ID under c:\documents and settings. When you log on after that, windows will re-create the profile from scratch.

You can also create a user remotely using the computer management MMC snap-in (compmgmt.msc)

Sure that is not that but... Have you registered it? I only had to ask...

Goof luck!