how do they watch me?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do they watch me?

how do they watch me?

i'm on a school network and all personal computers are logged in using this AEGIS client software, i dont know if the client makes a difference or not, but how does the "master computer" see what ur doing on ur computer ie downloading off somethin like kazaa?

sorry to use a word like master computer, but i was at a loss of words for whats its really called

There are many way's this can be done. First off, the network admin of your school could see incoming traffic/outgoing traffic coming from KaZaa and can see activity going through that port (not sure off the top of my head what it is). Your schools using that software specifically SO they can see what you are doing and that you aren't doing anything against their rules.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Well,

I presume that you connect through a server (master computer) this logs your connections, traffic etc.

Similarly, your ISP logs your connection from home.

Hope that helps

Yeppers, you have got a bad infection of spying admins. They sit there and check out the logs of traffic and can pin point just which computer is connected to Kazzaz or that warez site down the street. Then they make little notes and call you in to ream you out for breaking your agreement with their network, and for endangering every one on it by being vulnerable to virus, worms, trojans and other malware while you were being a bad boy.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

<offtopic>
    nihil: You think they (ISPs) log ALL connections? If so... I must be generating huge log files... with all the phish bootleg sites and archive.org shows that I've been mirroring... Not to mention my network (inet connection) is constantly being used 24/7... or everyone else that uses PCs here... I'm just one of 5 that use it ALL the time.
    </offtopic>
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Well, this year my school increased it's security...

Now every computer has a keylogger and a backdoor on it. So now teachers can use that backdoor software and can check out what's on your desktop. Sheesh!
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Hi phish~

I guess it will depend on what country you are in...............some regimes probably require all items to be logged.

I guess the main issue is how long they keep the logs for? I seem to recall that the FBI spent a long time going through logs to prove that David L Smith was vicodinES (Melissa virus).

I am pretty sure that as soon as someone raises suspicions then everything will get logged.

My point is that they certainly have the capability, whether they have the motivation is another issue. Certainly if they don't there would be little point in reporting abuse to them.

Cheers

Yeppers, you have got a bad infection of spying admins.
    Moxnix: Just wondering, but why is this a "bad infection"? And "spying admins"? Do you mean admins doing their job? Because that's the way I view it. They are just network admin's doing their job, making sure the rules are being followed. Doesn't seem anything like a "bad case" of anything.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Spyder, My sarcasm apparently didn't come acrossed as I planned. What I was saying, is that yes every thing you do on a protected network can be traced right back to you, by any admin that is doing his job.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Ahh I see! Sorry my friend, I'm a little off today. And you are right, it can and should be traced and logged. Sorry my friend
    Space For Rent.. =]