Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how do they watch me?

i kno they can see what ports i have open and who i'm connected to, but with out the hex dump, how can they see what i'm downloading, and my queues

Ugh, they have a damn network monitoring program installed... my school uses NetOp, any teacher can see ur screen in plain view and control your desktop and it wouldn't be any suprise that your school has a similar program installed with similar features....

Morale of the story, don't do stupid **** like download stuff on school computers.. you're just eating the school's bandwidth and giving them a better than average shot of getting infected with some skiddie virii.

I remember back in high school with the network running good ol' win98 SE2. They placed a backdoor (subseven to be exact) to monitor each computer as needed. Curious as to why I felt a lag spike in my connection every so often, I ran a netstat and saw that a local IP was connected to my computer via a subseven port. A quick memory of how the computers were layed out in our school brought to my attention that this was in the server room (where the computer teacher also took her break). So, knowing that the lag spike was caused by subseven taking a screenshot of my desktop and sending it to the teacher, I placed on notepad the words:

"I know you are watching me"

And let it set for a 30 second interval, perfectly fitting three screenshots worth (a screenshot was being taken every ten seconds). This of course didn't do anything, but I'm sure it gave the teacher a good laugh. Anyways, a nice tip to anyone in a similar situation would be to work the desktop in timing intervals. Since I knew the lag spikes were screenshots requests, and the timing was in ten seconds intervals, I knew I could work on anything for nine seconds before having to press Windowskey+d and take everything to the task bar so I could only have the desktop showing.

To complicate matters I had the taskbar set to autohide, and had set the wallpaper as a picture of the desktop as it normally is. Nothing loaded in the taskbar, and nothing open. So when everything minimzed at that 9 seconds (thank you stop watch!) all the teacher would see on the screengrab was a normal desktop that was actually a wallpaper lol, which then of course everything could be brought back to the front so I could work another nine seconds on it.

Don't ask me why I've talked on and on, I don't know

i didnt think they could do that here becuase these are our personal computers this isnt high school, its college

It may be your computer, but you are on their network. They won't touch your computer, install backdoors, or the like onto -your- system. But they have every right and reason to monitor their own networks for trouble (packet detecting, port connection detecting), much in the same way you have ever right and reason to monitor your own computer for trouble (spyware searching, firewall packet filtering)

Hi Pooh, Hi all

Fox, I suppose as adminstrator they can make your connection proxy through another server to see what you are downloading. Or use some network sniffer tool to see what you are looking at from the web browser.
    Ever come accross a combination of 2 tools that would grep others network traffic and dump it on to yet another PC's web browser. Advantage of this is: no rootkit/ spyware are required.

But there are other ways that this can be done. What we have mentioned is only very few. Unix tty dump is another way that i know (if you are using unix).

Or maybe the admin also using Kazaa and found your name there. Hehehehehe

I ever caught a few person redhanded as they useup too much of my network bandwidth. Because our firewall have feature of "top-10" talker and those happen to be Kazaa user. Just a bit of advice, dont
    do that in school. As the internet is limited and shared.

Does your school practice summiting assignment via Internet? Imagine you are one of those that wants to summit your assignment as today is the due date. Just when you keep having problem complete transfering your assignment another person in campus is running Kazaa and bring the internet to crawl.

i didnt think they could do that here becuase these are our personal computers this isnt high school, its college
    Interesting reasoning. If your machine cant access internet, who would you complain to?
    What do you expect the administrator to do?

Next thing you can try: Bring a microwave oven and put it next to campus wireless network access point
    and slowly roast a chicken. "Hey that is my microwave oven and what does cooking chicken have anything to do with your network outage?" well, i suppose that is alright to do that once you reach age of 900.

The way they used to track us at my old high school was to force us to proxy through an N2H2 server and log all the requests to sites that were not allowed. They also had Centurion cards so we couldn't get virii, etc on the computers.

I've since moved to a new high school with a much more lax security code. First, there are no Centurion cards, and second, all connections are direct(no proxy) with expception to the NAT running at the district center. They also dont have their Novell set up very well(version 3.51, can you say boot up knoppix and have a look at win386.swp after admin logged on). In 5 minutes I managed to get a shortcut to the Control Panel in my personal folder(they disabled it from the start menu), get a command promt, and a list of all student user names. I am not sure wether I want to notify the admin because they might kick me off for general purpose.

Maybe you should try a tracert to google or someplace to see how long you stay in their network and where you go in their network. Sorry if someone else already suggested this.