Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: command line version of the windows taskmgr

Net Start and Net stop are windows command line version of the taskmanager no need for alternate software.

The microsoft Net command is one of the most powerfull pieces of command line software produced by Mr Gates and is very easy to use.
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

Net Start and Net stop are windows command line version of the taskmanager no need for alternate software.
    This is incorrect. Net Start and Net Stop are commands to controll the "services" of the computer (such as Messenger, DHCP client, and Windows Audio), not the processes (like explorer.exe, schost.exe, etc etc)

edit: This is directly from the cmd.exe command line:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net help start
    The syntax of this command is:

NET START
    [service]

NET START lists running services.

service May include one of the following services:
    ALERTER
    BROWSER
    CLIENT SERVICE FOR NETWARE
    CLIPBOOK
    DHCP CLIENT
    EVENTLOG
    FILE REPLICATION
    MESSENGER
    NET LOGON
    NT LM SECURITY SUPPORT PROVIDER
    PLUG AND PLAY
    REMOTE ACCESS CONNECTION MANAGER
    ROUTING AND REMOTE ACCESS
    RPCLOCATOR
    RPCSS
    SCHEDULE
    SERVER
    SPOOLER
    TCP/IP NETBIOS HELPER SERVICE
    UPS
    WORKSTATION

When typed at the command prompt, service names of two words or more must
    be enclosed in quotation marks. For example, NET START "NET LOGON"
    starts the net logon service.

NET START can also start services not provided with Windows.

true, there is one tool distributed with XP to kill a process, but it doesn't list the processes so you can't get the PID that easy, you should need another program to get the PID, that's why i wrote this program, to have it all in one..

i've written (and compiled) it in the GUI of dev-cpp, but i've tested it with MVC++ too and it compiles with no errors or warnings too...

tlist.exe and kill.exe are both included in the resource kit for Windows and do the same thing as the tools from sysinternals..

Microsoft (R) Windows NT (TM) Version 5.1 TLIST
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-1999

usage: TLIST <<-m <pattern>> | <-t> | <pid> | <pattern> | <-p <processname>>>
    [options]:
    -t
    Print Task Tree

<pid>
    List module information for this task.

<pattern>
    The pattern can be a complete task
    name or a regular expression pattern
    to use as a match. Tlist matches the
    supplied pattern against the task names
    and the window titles.

-m <pattern>
    Lists all tasks that have DLL modules loaded
    in them that match the given pattern name

-s
    Show services active in each process.

-p <processname>
    Returns the PID of the process specified or -1
    if the specified process doesn't exist. If there
    are multiple instances of the process running only
    the instance with the first PID value is returned.

I like tlist as you can also find what process is using certain .dll's. Makes troubleshooting extremely easy.

You don't even have to know the PID for kill, you can use a partial match of the process name.

Microsoft (R) Windows NT (TM) Version 3.5 KILL
    Copyright (C) 1994-1998 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved

usage: KILL [options] <<pid> | <pattern>>*

[options]:
    -f Force process kill

<pid>
    This is the process id for the task
    to be killed. Use TLIST to get a
    valid pid

<pattern>
    The pattern can be a complete task
    name or a regular expression pattern
    to use as a match. Kill matches the
    supplied pattern against the task names
    and the window titles.

If you are running WinXP us the Windows2003 resource kit, not the W2k resource kit.

well, ok, then why haven't you told me this earlier
    i asked about such a tool a couple of months ago on several forums, and none of the replies indicated that such a tool existed... could have saved me a lot of thinking

o well, at least i've learned more about C in this program....
    so it isn't totally a waste of time .....

I don't think it was a waste of time in any way shape or form, and I don't understand why people have to be dicks about it. You did a very good job combining two programs into one, and I respect that.

er0k
    who gives a **** if it has already been done regardless? Its not like hes trying to ****ing market it, im impressed that he coded it.

Agreed er0k.

tlist.exe and kill.exe are both included in the resource kit for Windows and do the same thing as the tools from sysinternals..
    And? So you can download them from the resource kit (because they aren't on default windows), download them from sysinternals, or download and compile it from here. What is the difference and who cares? If we are going to be that anal about people coding things that already exist in a different place, then someone needs to start shutting down every operating system besides linux, every media player besides winamp, and kill every human being besides one. Because obviously, reinventing the wheel (And even improving upon it for christ sake, he combined two tools into one) is something that should never happen because it makes you cry.

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to pooh sun tzu again.
    sorry i can't give m, but you've earned every one of them, as for er0k, well you've got them !

and thanks to both of you for backing me up, and although i have to agree that i would have never written it in the first place if i had such a tool, i'm still glad i did .

and as for my previous projects:

keylogger for windows --> there are dozens of them out there
    mastermind (the game) --> also tons of them
    pwgenCL_2 --> password generator, written so many times before

and for all of them i already knew this before i wrote them, and still i wrote them myself!. stupid? i don't think so, although they may not prove useful to everyone, they all helped me understand and code better in C, and that's the main reason i wrote them..

but if you can think of a useful program which hasn't been "invented" before, then please let me know, perhaps i can code it and invent the wheel for the first time

[edit]p.s., pooh sun tzu, nice sword btw, i have almost the same one, except mine is black [/edit]

Originally posted here by pooh sun tzu
    Agreed er0k.

And? So you can download them from the resource kit (because they aren't on default windows), download them from sysinternals, or download and compile it from here. What is the difference and who cares? If we are going to be that anal about people coding things that already exist in a different place, then someone needs to start shutting down every operating system besides linux, every media player besides winamp, and kill every human being besides one. Because obviously, reinventing the wheel (And even improving upon it for christ sake, he combined two tools into one) is something that should never happen because it makes you cry.

Umm.. somebody needs to chill out a bit. I never said anything in my post about anybody wasting their time.. Other people were posting other tools that could do similiar functions and I was trying to be helpful and point out some other tools that can do what lepricaun coded along with adding some additional functionality. I could care less where are which tool you use, it's personnal preference, and if lepricaun learned something useful from his little coding excercise then good for him.. I'm really really curious what it was in my post that made you get all huffy, as your post is most certainly misdirected.