hi all,

a couple of months ago i was searching really hard for a command line version of the windows taskmgr, but i wasn't able to find one

so today i decided to write one myself, my brain was extremely overheating during the coding :lol:, but i have finished it just a few minutes ago

since no one could give me a link or name from a similar program, i thought that it might come in handy for some people, so i decided to publish it under the GPL, so here is the source:

Code:
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
*                                                                                  *
*  File: prokill.c                                                                 *
*                                                                                  *
*  Purpose: commandline processkiller / taskmanager for windows                    *
*  Usage: compile to prokill.exe and run it!                                       *
*  Copyright (C) 2004  Scorpius, scorpius_unknown@yahoo.com, all rights reserved   *
*  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or                   *
*  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License                     *
*  as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2                  *
*  of the License, or (at your option) any later version.                          *
*  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,                 *
*  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of                  *
*  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the                   *
*  GNU General Public License for more details.                                    *
*  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License               *
*  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software                     *
*  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.     *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <windows.h>
#include <tlhelp32.h>

int main(void)
{
    int pid,exitcode,term;
    unsigned long code;
    HANDLE Snap,Process;
    PROCESSENTRY32 proc32;

Snap=CreateToolhelp32Snapshot(TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS,0);/*take a snap of all processes*/
  if(Snap==INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
  {
    printf("Error creating snapshot of current processes");
    return EXIT_FAILURE;
  }
  proc32.dwSize=sizeof(PROCESSENTRY32); /*set size of structure*/  

system("cls");
  printf("Prokill.exe by Scorpius, scorpius_unknown@yahoo.com, 2004.\n\n");
  printf("PID:\t\tPROCESS NAME:\n");
  while((Process32Next(Snap,&proc32))==TRUE)/*while we haven't reached the final process*/
  {
      printf("\n%d\t\t%s",proc32.th32ProcessID,proc32.szExeFile);/*print pid and processname*/
  } 
  CloseHandle(Snap);/*cleaning up*/
  printf("\n\nEnter PID of process to kill (or 0 to quit): ");
  scanf("%d",&pid);/*get the PID of the process to kill*/
  if(pid<1)
  {
      printf("Illegal PID.");
      return EXIT_FAILURE;
  }
  Process=OpenProcess(PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION,FALSE,pid);/*obtain a handle to the process*/
  if(Process==NULL)
  {
      printf("Illegal PID.");
      CloseHandle(Process);
      return EXIT_FAILURE;
  }
  exitcode=GetExitCodeProcess(Process,&code);/*get the exitcode from the process*/   
  if(exitcode==0)
  {
      printf("Unable to retrieve exitcode.");
      CloseHandle(Process);
      return EXIT_FAILURE;
  }
  Process=OpenProcess(PROCESS_TERMINATE,FALSE,pid);/*see if we have terminate rights*/
  if(Process==NULL)
  {
      printf("Unable to terminate process.");
      CloseHandle(Process);
      return EXIT_FAILURE;
  }
  term=TerminateProcess(Process,code);/*terminate the process*/
  if (term==0)
  {
         printf("Terminating process %d failed.",pid);
         CloseHandle(Process);
         return EXIT_FAILURE;
  }
  printf("Process %d killed successfully.",pid);/*all went fine, process is killed*/
  CloseHandle(Process);
  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
i hope you find it useful

[edit]had to alter the above code to make it compatible with more systems (changed the "long code" to "unsigned long code").[/edit]