Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: command line version of the windows taskmgr

command line version of the windows taskmgr

hi all,

a couple of months ago i was searching really hard for a command line version of the windows taskmgr, but i wasn't able to find one

so today i decided to write one myself, my brain was extremely overheating during the coding :lol:, but i have finished it just a few minutes ago

since no one could give me a link or name from a similar program, i thought that it might come in handy for some people, so i decided to publish it under the GPL, so here is the source:

Code:
    /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
    *                                                                                  *
    *  File: prokill.c                                                                 *
    *                                                                                  *
    *  Purpose: commandline processkiller / taskmanager for windows                    *
    *  Usage: compile to prokill.exe and run it!                                       *
    *  Copyright (C) 2004  Scorpius, scorpius_unknown@yahoo.com, all rights reserved   *
    *  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or                   *
    *  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License                     *
    *  as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2                  *
    *  of the License, or (at your option) any later version.                          *
    *  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,                 *
    *  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of                  *
    *  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the                   *
    *  GNU General Public License for more details.                                    *
    *  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License               *
    *  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software                     *
    *  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.     *
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

#include <stdio.h>
    #include <windows.h>
    #include <tlhelp32.h>

int main(void)
    {
        int pid,exitcode,term;
        unsigned long code;
        HANDLE Snap,Process;
        PROCESSENTRY32 proc32;

Snap=CreateToolhelp32Snapshot(TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS,0);/*take a snap of all processes*/
      if(Snap==INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
      {
        printf("Error creating snapshot of current processes");
        return EXIT_FAILURE;
      }
      proc32.dwSize=sizeof(PROCESSENTRY32); /*set size of structure*/  

system("cls");
      printf("Prokill.exe by Scorpius, scorpius_unknown@yahoo.com, 2004.\n\n");
      printf("PID:\t\tPROCESS NAME:\n");
      while((Process32Next(Snap,&proc32))==TRUE)/*while we haven't reached the final process*/
      {
          printf("\n%d\t\t%s",proc32.th32ProcessID,proc32.szExeFile);/*print pid and processname*/
      } 
      CloseHandle(Snap);/*cleaning up*/
      printf("\n\nEnter PID of process to kill (or 0 to quit): ");
      scanf("%d",&pid);/*get the PID of the process to kill*/
      if(pid<1)
      {
          printf("Illegal PID.");
          return EXIT_FAILURE;
      }
      Process=OpenProcess(PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION,FALSE,pid);/*obtain a handle to the process*/
      if(Process==NULL)
      {
          printf("Illegal PID.");
          CloseHandle(Process);
          return EXIT_FAILURE;
      }
      exitcode=GetExitCodeProcess(Process,&code);/*get the exitcode from the process*/   
      if(exitcode==0)
      {
          printf("Unable to retrieve exitcode.");
          CloseHandle(Process);
          return EXIT_FAILURE;
      }
      Process=OpenProcess(PROCESS_TERMINATE,FALSE,pid);/*see if we have terminate rights*/
      if(Process==NULL)
      {
          printf("Unable to terminate process.");
          CloseHandle(Process);
          return EXIT_FAILURE;
      }
      term=TerminateProcess(Process,code);/*terminate the process*/
      if (term==0)
      {
             printf("Terminating process %d failed.",pid);
             CloseHandle(Process);
             return EXIT_FAILURE;
      }
      printf("Process %d killed successfully.",pid);/*all went fine, process is killed*/
      CloseHandle(Process);
      return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }
    i hope you find it useful

[edit]had to alter the above code to make it compatible with more systems (changed the "long code" to "unsigned long code").[/edit]

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    On XP you can use the commands:

tasklist
    taskkill

Thanks for the code.

Nice job,

there is also pslist and pskill from the sysinternals guys, you can manage and list remote processes too, very useful

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pslist.shtml
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pskill.shtml

cheers

uknetsec

i know the tools, but mine combines the two, it first lists the processes, and then you have the option of killing one of them...

Blast From the Past
    &lt;security thoughts&gt;
    you woulnt be able to use this against remote comps would you?
    i.e. from standard user mode on one comp shutdown the firewall on the other comp
    &lt;/security thoughts&gt;

and no im not telling ppl to go hack with this...just wondering if it would be possiable
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

i know the tools, but mine combines the two, it first lists the processes, and then you have the option of killing one of them...
    So it does, I obviously didn't look at it closely enough the first time, nice piece of code, mking my head spin a bit at this time of night after looking at .net code for the past 3 hours

hexadecimal: Irongeek mentioned tasklist/taskkill: both allow remote access...haven't tried this program yet, though i imagine it might be used in this way...anyone tested this yet (remote usage/administration)?

you woulnt be able to use this against remote comps would you?
    i.e. from standard user mode on one comp shutdown the firewall on the other comp
    if you have a remote shell, then this is pretty easy to use, that's why i wrote it in the first place

What is a good program to compile the code with? i am by no means a programmer so i would like to compile to an exe or whatever so I can try it out.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

try dev C++ by bloodshed or LCC, both are free.

i2c