Securing my Wireless Broadband

Thread: Securing my Wireless Broadband

Hoopy Frood

Securing my Wireless Broadband

I leave for college this Saturday and will be getting Wireless internet access. I'm a complete noobie when it comes to wireless, so pardon this stupid question. Should I just go about securing my computer just as if it was like DSL or Cable? Like, just keep Windows updated and run a firewall like normal or are there special things you have to do with wireless that do not have to be done with other types of connections? Thanks you in advance.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Are you providing the Wireless access point or is someone else?

If you are providing your own there are plenty of threads here about securing them. If someone else is then you treat it _exactly_ like cable/dsl....

Simple as that....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hoopy Frood
    Ok, thank you, Tiger Shark. I will not be providing it myself. It's provided by the school and all I need is a wireless NIC.

Regards,
    Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I wouldn't use it at all if others are using it...

A WEP key might prevent people from getting on the network, but AFAIK it can still be sniffed by anyone on the network using the key, so whatever you do can be captured by anyone on the network.

I'm not sure but isn't wireless like a network on hubs?

edit
    You haven't even started school yet? Damn you start late...

Hoopy Frood
    Unfortunately, it's just too big of a temptation to not use it. I've been on 56k all my life. Ya, I start late. I like the quarter system.

Regards,
    Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I am also new to wireless here. Is it really true that anyone on the same network can sniff the data travel from your computer?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Falcon: Think of the principle of wireless. Just like your car radio the transmissions are there for everyone to see.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

go to www.thebroken.org.

They have an excellent video that explains it all.

Falcon: You can't have any real sense of security with wireless connectivity, unless your School's wireless Adminitstrator is allowing you to create a VPN tunnel for all sessions.

IMHO
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!