Thread: problem with keyboard installing xp

problem with keyboard installing xp

For some reason when I try to windows xp sometimes the keyboard stops working.... It does this on many machines I have delt with both usb and not. all the keyboards work in dos and the lights stay one till it comes to the screen asking me to press enter to install xp? WTF! HELP

AO French Antique News Whore
    Your keyboard is USB? It need the driver install to work on XP.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

no there not just usb some are and some arent

AO French Antique News Whore
    Be more spefic about your problem. I'm having problem reading your english.

XP doesn't have DOS... I'm confused.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

are you trying to say that you have installed XP on a variety of different machines, with a variety of different keyboards and you always seem to get the same error each time .. where you keyboard stops working?

are you using the same XP cd each time?

Just Another Geek
    If you press the numlock key does the keyboard led react?

What keyboard are you using?

Is it an PS/2 keyboard with a converter plug for USB (or the other way around)?
    Or is it a 'true' PS/2 or USB keyboard?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

alright i deff. need to say this better.
    I have installed Xp on so many different machines. These keyboards are sometimes USB or PS/2. When Im in dos or windows I can use these keyboards but when im in the "Install" of windows xp they seem to "cut off". I can press the num lock button till my finger falls off it will work..........untill it says "Press enter to install windows" then the light turns off and acts like it has NO power. This happens with every kind of keyboard converters from usb to ps/2 and vis versa. With differnt Windows Xp cd's

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    ok. thanks for making it clear for what we are dealing with.

the problem i can see is, it shouldnt be doing it. quite simply. i cannot fathom a reasonable explantion. other than, during the setup to install, the keyboard drivers used on the cd are corrupt.

however you said you have used different winXP cd's. are these different CD's copied from the same original. or are they all completely different cd?

if they are truely different then i cant think of what it might be. however, if they are all sub-cd's from the same original, the original cd may be corrupt in some parts.

I have installed Xp on so many different machines.
    Question: How do you install XP on these machines if the keyboard stops working before you have control over the install options.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein