Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The speaker inside the computer

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

The speaker inside the computer

Hi, I know that there is some kind of speaker inside your computer so even if you dont have external speakers you can hear a "beeping" noise coming from your computer. is there anyway to turn this speaker off without taking the computer apart? thanx bye.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

er0k
    i don't think there is, as its there to alert you if something goes wrong, hardware failure, etc.. like 2 beeps for a keyboard failure, etc... but i could be wrong

BANNED
    The speaker is used for troubleshooting but if you want it off here's a solution:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article05-017
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

actually it makes that damn beeping when i am in class lol i think the admins did it on purpose... everytime i send a "net send" msg it beeps... maybe just so the teacher can hear it and be alerted lol... but i will see if i can turn it off
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    the speaker can usually be turned off through the bios. however, it sounds like an event noise, which is windows controlled. when you net send it beeps.

in both cases its probably passworded and inaccessible through ordinary and legit means.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

BANNED
    This has been said to many times. If it's not yours don't screw with it. The admin at your school or work doesn't go to your house and screw with your crap so why do you have to screw with theirs? Let's say you do turn off the beep one way or the other. Next year there could be a problem with the computer and the poor guy who works on computers for the school system that is most likely way underpaid goes to figure out what's wrong with the computer and a good while after he would have finished with it he figures out some snot nosed kid who was to worryed about messaging his friends in class instead of paying attention disabled the sound on the speaker used for troubleshooting...
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

hey i didnt say that i was going to disable it, i just wanted to know how... and if u really want to know the class is taught by my fav professor so i do pay attention in class but its always good to know how, and net sending is just a way to pass the slow times.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    post #7
    hey i didnt say that i was going to disable it,
    *cough*post #1
    is there anyway to turn this speaker off without taking the computer apart?
    *cough* post #4
    but i will see if i can turn it off
    It SOUNDS like you WERE going to fart about with someone else's computer.

It's like they say:
    If you want to fcuk about with it, BUY IT.............
    Until then, leave well enough alone, study hard and graduate.
    Get a job, management ? .................
    Then employ ME.
    I'll dismantle all the toys YOU supply.................

Until then live with it.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

ok i give up trying to convince you all that i really dont mean any harm but thanx for the help anyway... have a good one.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I think that it depends on your type of internal speaker. If it is an audio speaker then you should be able to go into the volume settings and select "mute all". That works with Dell desktops I do know.

On the other hand, if your speaker just a very simple bleeping device, then you would have to disconnect the wire from the two pin connector on the MoBo.

On some MoBos connecting external speakers will disable the internal speakers.............you could try inserting a jack plug into the speaker socket if your machine has one. At least that avoids the very valid concern about "messing" with someone else's equipment, as you would just remove it afterwards and everything would revert to normal.