Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDE Cable Issue

IDE Cable Issue

I'm installing A DVD burner and I have currently got a CD-rom already installed. Is It wise to put the burner on a seperate IDE channel to the hard drive where IDE 1 will have the hard drive and CD-ROM connected to the same channel or is better to have the burner on the same IDE channel as the hard drive. An explanation why which would be better would be a great help....thanks
    Knowledge 2 Knowledge - [ n e r d i f i e d ]

Put the DVD on it's own channel on IDE 1 and leave the hard drive on IDE 0. Make sure the hard drive stays connected to the mobo in the same place it started from... It will give you a slight increase in burning speed with the DVD as the master of the second channel. You might want to plug the cd rom drive in as slave on the DVD cable.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Hi,

In a standard configuration you would have your first channel (IDE0) supporting your HDDs and your second channel (IDE1) supporting DVD,CD,ZIP etc.

You get better performance that way and the system will be more stable.

On your IDE1 cable have the DVD as master and the CD or whatever as slave.

I do not believe in mixing devices on the same cable, as strange things can happen. They should be of the SAME type (fixed media v. removeable media)

Cheers

Just Another Geek
    I almost agree. The thing to watch out for is the transfer modes. Put all UDMA/133 drives together, UDMA/100 together or PIO mode 4 together etc. It doesn't matter if the drive is a removable or not. Just don't mix different transfer modes on the same cable/controller. That's how you get the 'optimal' configuration.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

How is there a slight increase of speed if the Burner is on IDE1 rather than IDE0?

How is there a slight increase of speed if the Burner is on IDE1 rather than IDE0?
    Re-read the reply from the others..

You can put your HDD on IDE1 if you want to.. ..the speed isn't realy to do with which IDE you put the DVD onto..it is to do with the devices that are on the same channel..
    IF you have the Burner (or any optical drive for that matter) on the same cahnnel as a HDD the channels data speed is slowed to the slowest device.. usualy the Optical device.. And as it is good practice to place the Boot drive on IDE0.. that is why ..
    Also some MoBo's are funny as to where you place your Boot HDD.. the crap cheap ones are the main offenders

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Just a small point:
    On the MoBo's I've been looking at recently, it's marked as IDE 1 and IDE 2 ..........

Other than that I set my system up as stated here.

IDE 1 [0] for the HDD
    IDE 2 [1] for the CD re-writer

One last thing:
    I have a 'full' sized tower, and when I changed the MoBo, the position of the IDE slots was in a different orientation to the original. And as such, I've had to lower the position of the CD re-writer as the existing IDE cable would no longer reach ........

Question: is it possible to buy IDE cables longer than those sent as standard ?
    I only need a few inches more [please don't say it] so it's not a life or death issue, just something I would like to know.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Normaly no to the longer cables with IDE.. It is a specification limitation in the standard. AFIK

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Ah well; I'll just have to make do with what I've got. [Still don't say it]

Might have to buy a smaller tower case NEXT time ...........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

You can't have more than 18 inches if it has no slave, no more than 22 if it has slave and master.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.