Thread: SoftPerfect FireWall

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

Post SoftPerfect FireWall

Found this in PCmag.com

http://shareware.pcmag.com/product.p...SiteID%5Dpcmag

It's a firewall, free, sub 1 Meg D/L.
    I use Norton on my system, and can't put it there. But it fits onto a floppy, and WILL go onto family PC's.
    just posted it here, as another option, I've never heard of these people, but if someone wants to try it and post results ..................

Description by publisher

SoftPerfect Personal Firewall is a free network firewall designed to protect your PC against attacks from the Internet or via a local area network. SoftPerfect Personal Firewall offers customizable security using user-defined rules for packet filtering. It works at a low level and also allows you to create rules based on non-IP protocols such as ARP.

SoftPerfect Personal Firewall supports multiple network adapter configurations. This allows you to apply a rule, for example, for just a modem connection or you could apply separate rules for each system interface. With a flexible filtering system, trusted MAC address checking feature and separate network adapter configuration you can even use it on a router or a server.

SoftPerfect Personal Firewall has a learning mode, which prompts you for required actions when it detects an unknown packet. This helps you to create customized rules quickly. The program is easy to use, comes with a set of predefined rules and it is completely free. Additional features include password protection, logging and more.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I generally will stick with kerio or sygate.. but something new is always worth checking out..
    (on one of my friends computers that happens to be in my possession for the time being.. )

thanks..

Thanks Foxy~ I have just downloaded it onto a test box and will give it a try.

I will let you know what happens. As you mentioned "family computers" I will restrict the initial testing to:

1. Does it do the basics?
    2. How easy is it to set up?
    3. Is it intrusive?
    4. Reporting/analytical capoabilities

My criteria are basically that it should provide good basic protection, be capable of being set up by someone with user rather than technical knowledge and not become annoying so people switch it off

Cheers