Hacker using p2p on my computer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacker using p2p on my computer?

Hacker using p2p on my computer?

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out....would it possible that I have a program on my computer (without my knowledge) that is allowing someone (hacker or whatever) to gain access and download files/programs through p2p networks? The reason I ask this, is: my AOL account got suspended in June, because AOL said I was exchanging copywrite material on a file sharing program....now at the time, I did have Kazaa- but I rarely download anything (only a few songs, once every few months)...so we got AOL put back on, and I got rid of kazaa...I then downloaded Limewire, and use it rarely as well...but a few weeks ago, AOL completely shut down my account- and the only info they could give me, was that on August 27, 2004 - I "apparently" downloaded material without permission, at 2:30a.m....now this is the weird part - yes, my computer was connected to the Internet, and limewire was running as well (but I did not download anything, the only reason why it was running is because it is on my "startup programs").....maybe, in June, I did download something- but I really don't know for sure, because when I found out- 2 weeks had past, so I couldn't remember....but I know 100% that I did not download ANYTHING on the latest date, Aug 27th...now I have lost my AOL account for good- the only way to get it back is by writing a letter and appealing the decision- but how can I do that? They can't supply me with anymore information (like if they could tell me the fileshare program that downloaded the material...or the "name" of the file....and what do they mean "I downloaded from someone else without permission?<--is someone downloading material through my I.P. or getting in my system & using a different p2p program?)

Basically, I'm just wondering, if people can download stuff and u not know it, through your Internet connection, or your PC? If so, does anyone know the names of these programs that I can look for, on my PC, to prove to AOL that someone else is doing the file downloads?

Also, I had a free trial of "Norton Firewall" for a few days, and while I had it, I had a few "prompts" a couple times, saying another I.P. was trying to connect to my computer...I could not get any more information on the IP trying to connect, other than the IP address- in which I did not write down, big mistake!

Any thoughts on what's going on???
    How do I begin searching for an "invisible" culprit?
    Thanks

if it was on all night, someone could have downloaded something from you, in other words you could have uploaded a copyrighted item which is a bigger no no than downloading in legal point of view. so you might not of even downloaded anything but someone downloaded one of the songs you had previously downloaded, or 5 people may have downloaded part of that song from you, and that set off some flags at AOL. thats just a possibility though. i guess it is possible for a hacker to use your computer for a proxy, but thats rare, they'd rather use it for a ware server or put it in a network for DOSing something, not downloading things from kazaa.

I agree with DefTones; someone or some people could have connected and downloaded some copyrighted material from you since it seems that you leave your computer on and connected. All of these "file sharing" programs seem to leave a lot of open doors for anyone that has "marginal" scupules to do whatever they want. My advice, dump all the file sharing programs and when you are not using your computer, I would at least log off and possibly turn off your machine. This way you can track your time on the computer.

I am sure some of the more senior members could direct you to see if someone has actually installed a back door to your machine and find that "invisible" culprit
    There wasn\'t any paper used here, but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

thanks for the replies...this still just confuses me...
    I had maybe 10 music files (in my shared folder)...I asked AOL, how do they find out about this in the first place...they said that if someone downloads from me, and the person sees that the file is copywrited, they then call aol & make a complaint (and that's the only time AOL notices anything, then they track down the person responsible through IP- or something to that effect)...but the second time it happened, they said that I did the downloading without permission at 2:32 a.m....but I didn't do any downloading (who knows, maybe they meant someone uploaded from me- but the conversation didn't go far because I couldn't get someone that wasn't foriegn on the phone<--- not trying to be rude, but I could tell this call center was overseas and the ppl didn't have any idea what i was talking about when it came to technical questions)...anyhow, I just find It strange that this happened twice in a matter of 2 months-- other ppl I know have hundreds of music/video/software files on their PC's- and AOL has never cut them off....Why would someone go to the trouble of calling AOL if they download a music file from me? Do they expect the file not to have some kind of copywrites to it?....it just makes me wonder....if there's other file sharing going on that I don't know about, or if someone is just targeting me to shut down my account.....well I better go delete my 10 music files, since they are that big of a deal- ugh, I hate AOL now...

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    What, if any, anti mal-ware are you using ?

swat-it = http://swatit.org/
    Swat It is a Completely FREE program that scans your computer for Trojans, Worms, Bots and other Hacker programs. Swat It can detect and remove over 4000 different Trojan programs plus variants
    AdAware = http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Ad-Aware is designed to provide advanced protection from known Data-mining, aggressive advertising, Parasites, Scumware, selected traditional Trojans, Dialers, Malware, Browser hijackers, and tracking components. With the release of Ad-Aware SE Personal edition, Lavasoft takes the fight against Spyware to the next level.
    SpyBot S+D = http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Welcome...
    ... to www.spybot.info, the home of Spybot-S&D, the best (according to PC World, PC Mag, ...) privacy software available!
    If you don't run anything, try these.
    They should find and neutralize almost everything out there.

If you DO run protection, it might help if you post your routine:
    What do you use ?
    How often do you update / use them ?
    How many 'baddies' have you removed recently ?

Also details of your OS and PC set up can help, as your profile gives us nada.

My 2c:
    You were 'used', not owned. As stated by deftones12, the 'bad lads' do more than compromise a P2P connection.

Although as you are connected 24/7 [by implication of your post]
    I "apparently" downloaded material without permission, at 2:30a.m....now this is the weird part - yes, my computer was connected to the Internet, and limewire was running as well (but I did not download anything, the only reason why it was running is because it is on my "startup programs").....
    you COULD be a tempting target.

Solution:
    Disconnect from the net when not using.
    Unless it's vital. TURN OFF the PC when you retire for the night.
    Start to pay attention to your system, learn what the security is for.
    I had a free trial of "Norton Firewall" for a few days
    Doesn't bode well for the first question above ............

Get a firewall on PERMANENTLY.
    Get Anti-Virus running, update it regular.
    keep the above FREE tools on the system, USE THEM. Weekly at least. Update them weekly as well.

If at first you find you have a 'clean' set up. Go to 'safe mode' [F8 on boot] and run them AGAIN from there.

Post back when you have something to clarify, or just to say thank you .................
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

yes, thank you for the links...I already have AdAware & Spybot....I usually run them once a month....shortly before this whole thing happened, I had just downloaded Adaware (because Spybot usually detects about 40 files everytime-and after I ran it, I was still getting non-stop popups)...so I ran the Adaware & I remember it saying that it detected 867 files! I would love to have Norton Firewall perminently, but right now I cannot afford it (I'm not working right now because I'm taking 18 credit hours at school)....btw, I do run my computer for long periods of time- but it's usually never un-attended....that time @ 2:32a.m. I was actually at the computer & looking up info online....so the times that "these ppl" are possibley using my connection or I.P., I was un-aware, but more than likley @ the computer. I just wish there was a way to prove this, because I don't think AOL will take my word for it....but rest assured, once I can afford to make some purchases, I'll pick up Norton- I already planned on it, after I started useing it and seeing how well it works.

Sorry, I forgot to add:

Computer: Dell Dimension 8200

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=262022

A FREE firewall. There are others, Zone alarm, Sygate for example.

Get ONE and use it NOW.

because Spybot usually detects about 40 files everytime-and after I ran it, I was still getting non-stop popups
    so I ran the Adaware & I remember it saying that it detected 867 files!
    Dump ALL of your P2P S/W, and NEVER use them again...........
    My Aunt had an unprotected W98 box running over a YEAR, and I thought it was amazing that I got 384 baddies from AdAware, plus a dozen from SpyBot.

You might have to SERIOUSLY consider re-installing your OS, that's a clean install, reset your partitions EVERYTHING. Jeez, 867 in a MONTH..............

Oh and one more thing:
    Dont send me EMails EVER

[pong][gloworange]867
    867[/gloworange]
    [/pong]
    need a

[edit]
    zone alarm:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...eeDownload.jsp

sygate:
    http://soho.sygate.com/default.htm
    OLDER yes

LOL....are u sure?.....I'm prob. sending out 867 trojans daily! Thanks for the free firewall link, I'll definetly be downloading that....I don't have any links for you, but if u ever need a good virus or some popups, u know where to look!

but if u ever need a good virus or some popups, u know where to look!
    Spoken by the Master ..................

Hopefully others will post their thoughts on this, and whether it is advisable to re-install.

Remember:
    If it is advised to re-install, it is not compulsory, but it would be a DAMN good idea.

[pong][gloworange]867[/gloworange] [/pong]
    OLDER yes