defrag help

Thread: defrag help

defrag help

when i go to run my defrag it starts to 'analyze' and when it gets to 52% i get a message that says 'defragmentation of (C:)has been aborted due to inconsistancies that were detected in the filesystem. please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on (C:) to repair these inconsistancies then run disk defragmenter again'
    how do i fix that?

Hello, and welcome to AO,

Well you did not say what your operating system is................I know it is windows but I am guessing at XP?

Boot into "safe mode" (that's F8 key on boot-up) then run scandisk

Then you should defrag also in safe mode............any propblems and post back

Cheers

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    XP defrag is the only one that says "analyze"

you should also run scandisk in dos mode thouroughly, as this will detect physcial damage, and if needed, deny access from broken sectors, which IMO is why scandisk keeps aborting. it can read the damaged sectors.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

XP defrag is the only one that says "analyze"
    She did not state that she was using the Windows defragmenter. I personally use DiskKeeper Lite on all my machines with MS home user OSes and for NT4 (NT4 does not have defrag).

You are quite right, it sounds as if there may be a HDD problem, so a surface scan is a wise move.

Given that, it might also be a good idea to get the diagnostics tools from the HDD manufacturer's website and run them as well. That should tell you if the HDD is on the way out