Thread: Memory Stealer

Memory Stealer

I am looking for a program that can use a certain amount of RAM that I specify... I am doing a science project on the effect of Free RAM on FPS in UT2k4. I would PREFER to have a program that will take a SET amount of RAM constantly so my results are more accurate than starting a few programs and running them constantly and hoping they hover around the same the entire time...

Thanks for any help.
    -The Grunt
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    pull a stick out?

that would limit your ram.

Limiting memory
    If you don't have time to use the chip-removal method or if it's impractical for your particular situation, there's another approach you can take to accomplish the same goal. With this method, you won't physically remove the chips--you'll just tell the machine not to use them by adding a setting to the SYSTEM.INI file. To begin, launch Notepad and open the SYSTEM.INI file. Under the [386Enh] section, add the line

MaxPhysPage=XXX

XXX is the amount of memory (in hexadecimal format) you want Windows 95 to use. It's usually best to start with a large number and then gradually decrease the amount until the error disappears. For example, if you want to limit Windows 95 to the first 16 MB of memory, then XXX would be the memory address FFF. To limit the system to the first 8 MB, use the address 7FF; to specify the limit as the first 4 MB, replace XXX with 3FF.

Once you've decided on a limit, you'll need to save and close the SYSTEM.INI file. Then, restart your computer and run the application that gave you the error. You may need to experiment with different amounts of memory to pinpoint the largest amount you can use without getting any errors. When you do get an error, the SIMM occupying the addresses just above the memory location you specified is probably your bad one.
    from http://www.compguystechweb.com/troub...oblem_ram.html

thats all i can find, no programs as such. sorry .

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

But that is not what I wish to test... That would change the hardware, I am setting this up from a software point of view.
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    ok, but whats the difference between using a program to deny access to certain ram (limiting it) than editing a file to do the same. the hardware is still there. i know what you mean anyways.

sorry i couldnt help further

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

You can write a program that allocates some RAM, and then waits for user input or sleeps...

...of course, the OS would probably swap that program to the disk when you play UT2k4, thus freeing physical memory so that UT2K4 can use it. When that is done, or you go back to your program, it is swapped back into the physical memory from the ugly virtual memory stuff...

Maybe if the program can keep active with its allocated memory so it doesn't get swaped you can set a control experiment with the program running to set the base FPS, and compare them from there. In C, I think malloc() is what you are looking for, along with free() when you are done.

There must be a way to create a "memory disk" http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=4&topic=md (freebsd man page for md, memory disc)
    I am pretty sure i remember seeing a win equivalant some where or another, but i cannot remember what it was called??
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

I'm with lumpy on this one..

I'm guessing you are gonna be doing this on windows ??

I used to use ramdisks on dos, havn't done so on windows, but http://www.winsoft.sk/ramdisk.htm should do the trick

don't know if they are "dynamic" so you might wanna put files on there
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

to see the effect on available ram, i think you should code a program that:

a) dont use cpu time - doing a loop or somethint to keep pages on RAM will change the FPS too -- and you dont want that
    b) program must be sure that once memory was allocated, O.S. wont page it out to give more ram to the other process. So you need to FIX this pages on RAM (turn them non-pageable pages). Unfortunatelly, i think you must be a privileged process to do that. There is a API on Windows to do that (i couldnt find it on google however - may be a "windows api bible" will help)

with an "idle program" that locks pages on RAM (you can design a interface screen for example) you can control how much memory its available for all..
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Too bad I don't know how to program

I will try the ram disk thing.. .Thanks for the link jinx.

Edit: That proggy has a 1 hour time limit... so I googled around and found http://www.arsoft-online.de/products/product.php?id=1.... getting ready to test