What's a good 802.11g card for Wardriving?

Thread: What's a good 802.11g card for Wardriving?

King Tutorial-ankhamun

What's a good 802.11g card for Wardriving?

I know with 802.11b Prism or Hermes chipset should work nicely but I'm not sure what would be a good 802.11g card. Which ones are well supported under Linux with RF monitoring mode support?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Go into the forums at www.netstumbler.org and you will see stickies for threads "Which cards DON'T work", and "Which cards DO work".... That's pretty much the easy way to find out which are good and bad.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    But Netstumbler is a Window app, I guess since I want to use it with Linux I need to do a google search for 802.11g and Kismet.

You might want to check out the new 802.11n. It looks very promising. It uses a 40mhz channel, to get you 500Mbs data-rate. It can also drop back to 20mhz to work with todays 802.11b and 802.11g, which would still give you 250mbs data-rate. IEEE believes the standart might be aproved by 2005-2006

Something cool to look at

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    There's a whole Linux forum on netstumbler here. You should be able to find what you need.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

This is off Kisment's website:

Known supported cards

The following cards are known to work and have been used with Kismet. If your card isn't listed here, don't worry yet - read the directions, try it, and let me know.

The linux-wlan people have created an enormous list of cards and chipsets available here. If your card is not in the Kismet list, you can probably find the chipset and determime if it will be supported via the linux-wlan list.
    Card Chipset Description Driver
    Ambicom WL1100C-CF Prism/2 Abicom Compact Flash wlan-ng/hostap
    Belkin 11Mbps PCMCIA Prism/2 Belkin PCMCIA adapter wlan-ng/hostap
    Buffalo WLI-CF-S11G Prism/2 Buffalo Compact Flash wlan-ng/hostap
    Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11 Prism/2 Buffalo PCMCIA wlan-ng/hostap
    D-Link A650 ar5k D-Link 802.11a Cardbus vt_ar5k
    D-Link DWL-650* Prism/2 D-Link PCMCIA with triangular antenna wlan-ng/hostap
    D-Link DCF-650W Prism/2 D-Link Compact Flash wlan-ng/hostap
    D-Link DCF-660W Prism/2 D-Link Compact Flash wlan-ng/hostap
    Demarctech/Senao/Engenius Prism/2 100mW and 200mW Prism/2 cards wlan-ng/hostap
    Cisco AIR-PCM35x aironet Cisco Aironet PCMCIA with diversity antenna kernel aironet
    Cisco AIR-LMC35x aironet Cisco Aironet PCMCIA with external MMCX antenna kernel aironet
    Compaq WL100 Prism/2 Compaq PCMCIA wlan-ng/hostap
    Gateway Solo 9550 Orinoco Internal 802.11b on Solo 9550 orinoco (with Snax monitor patch)
    Linksys WPC11 Prism/2 Linksys PCMCIA wlan-ng/hostap
    Linksys WDT11 Prism/2 Linksys PCMCIA to PCI bridge wlan-ng/hostap (plx)
    Linksys WCF11 Prism/2 Linksys CompactFlash wlan-ng/hostap
    Microsoft USB Prism/2 Microsoft USB adapter wlan-ng
    Netgear MA401 Prism/2 Netgear PCMCIA wlan-ng
    Lucent PC24E Silver Orinoco Orinoco Silver PCMCIA orinoco_cs (with Snax monitor patch)
    Lucent PC24E-H-FC Gold Orinoco Orinoco Gold PCMCIA orinoco_cs (with Snax monitor patch)
    Rangelan-DS 8430 Prism/2 Rangelan-DS PCMCIA wlan-ng/hostap (once added to cards list)
    SMC2632W* Prism/2 SMC PCMCIA wlan-ng/hostap
    SMC2642W Prism/2 SMC CompactFlash wlan-ng/hostap
    Teletronics WL-1100-2-3V Prism/2 Teletronics PCMCIA wlan-ng/hostap
    Xircom CWE1100/1300 aironet Xircom PCMCIA kernel aironet
    ZCOMAX XI-300 Prism/2 ZCOMAX Compact Flash wlan-ng/hostap
    ZCOMAX XI-815 Prism/2 ZCOMAX Compact Flash wlan-ng/hostap
    Zoom 4105 Prism/2 Zoom (with external antenna) wlan-ng/hostap

Cards known NOT to work

The following cards are known to NOT work for various reasons. If you manage to get one of these cards working, let me know.
    * New Dlink DWL650 cards DLink appears to have replaced the prism2 chipset with one from ADMTek. This is currently unsupported in linux and cannot be used. There is no notification on the box that the chipset has changed, but the newer cards have a rectangular instead of triangular antenna.
    Linksys PCI Recently Linksys has switched to using Broadcom PCI chipsets. These are not labeled differently from the PCI cards using prism/2 chipsets. There are no drivers for broadcom.
    Belkin USB Belkin USB cards use the Atmel chipset. There is no rfmon support in the firmware itself, so sniffing isn't possible.
    Linksys USB Recent Linksys USB cards are Atmel, not Prism/2
    *New SMC PCMCIA SMC2632W v2.2 pcmcia cards are Atmel based. There are drivers for normal use but I haven't been able to get them to work in rfmon.

Something to keep in mind... Get one that you can change the antennas on...

Then drive around with your own cantenna or buy one...
    That will greatly increase your signal strength and range...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/666e/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I use Kismet with a Cisco Aironet 350 card. The biggest pain in the ass was installing a version of card services that was compatible with the software. Anyway, once I got past that, the Cisco card worked wonderfully.

For what it's worth...

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden