Thread: Spyware infested I.E.

Spyware infested I.E.

This problem doesn't bother me anymore as i use MSN Explorer, but i'd still like to get the problem fixed.

Okey doke, if i type in any address at all in my browser, the spyware (or so i assume, anyhow) redirects the page to that annoying 'Search the Web' type of page.

Say if i typed in Google.com, the brower's adress bar will turn from 'google.com', to 'C:\Documents and Settings\ADAM\Local Settings\Temp\RuleBallGrid.htm#http://www.google.com/'
    To me, this seems like spyware has basically taken controll of my I.E and is lurking about in my 'temp' folder.

The thing is, i've scanned many times with Ad-Aware in the past and nothing. I recently downloaded Ad-aware SE which surprisingly discovered something around the region of 1323 'objects' . After i deleted/quarentined them all, I.E still doesn't work.

I've posted this similar topic on another forum, and they reccomended using different spyware removers. But i just decided to give up with it, untill now.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

- Adam.

Hoopy Frood
    Make sure you're running the updater built into Ad-Aware before you scan and make sure you're doing a full system scan. Was there anything Ad-Aware said it couldn't remove? If yes, boot into safe mode and run the scan from there and that should fix that problem. If it can't find the problem download Spybot: Search and Destroy, update it, and run a scan and see what that finds. If that fails also, download HijackThis and post the scan results here and let someone look at them and direct you as to what to remove. Don't remove anything without doing research! It's possible to really screw up the computer!

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Well, here is another reason to stop using IE! I can't remember the last time I surfed with IE. There are just too many bad people that want to cripple IE. 1323 objects; now that is impressive! You have beatin out summerbreeze (this person had 867 objects when scanned with Ad-Aware). I realize that I haven't helped you with the IE problem, but frankily I am not sure how to fix it besides reloading the OS. Some of the more senior AO members might have a trick up their sleeves for a fix
    There wasn\'t any paper used here, but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Hoopy Frood
    SecGod has a good point. Once you get this cleaned up you may consider changing browsers to help with this in the future. My personal preference is Firefox.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Avant Browser
    There wasn\'t any paper used here, but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

I take it that you have Spybot Search & Destroy?

Update it and run it in Safe Mode. Open it in "advanced" function an select tools.............use them to check out your browser helper objects and all that kind of stuff. Get rid of anything that looks suspicious.

Remember to run the "immunization" function as well

Okey doke, thanks for all your help, guys. I'll give the scanning in safe mode a try tomorrow.

Thanks again,

- Adam.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    if i type in any address at all in my browser, the spyware (or so i assume, anyhow) redirects the page to that annoying 'Search the Web' type of page.
    Search the web = cool web search ????

CWShredder v1.59.1

Even if your PC has Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy, you still can't stop some versions of an insidious and virus-like pest called CoolWebSearch. Fortunately, a Dutch student who goes simply by the name Merijn wrote a tiny (128KB) free tool called CWShredder that specializes in removing dozens of CWS variants.
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...RSS,RSS,00.asp

The home site is down at the moment, so use the above link, run it and see............

[afterthought]where the hell IS Funky Town[/afterthought]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

where the hell IS Funky Town
    Oh my god, you've never heard of that song?

*Doot doot doot doot doot, do doot doot do doot*. 'Oh, wont you take me to Funky Town.' (I don't really live there by the way.

check the info in this link

http://www.spyany.com/program/articl...m_TinyBar.html

there is more at the same site..

cheers

BTW: Funky Town..!. My mum used to sing that.. man that is old...
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr