Thread: Nevadans to become first to use touch-screen…

Nevadans to become first to use touch-screen…

Nevadans to become first to use touch-screen…

I found this intriguing. Anyone had any interaction with this yet?

“In what could become a model for other states, Nevada voters on Tuesday became the first in the nation to cast ballots in a statewide election on computers that printed paper records of electronic ballots.”

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9461

If this takes off, there will be no more pregnant or hanging chads during our elections. Remember the hassle from the last presidential election? Nevada is taking the lead with the touch screen ballot. No more elucidation of the voter’s intent counting as votes as we observed.

From CNN's Brooks Jackson

November 16, 2000
    Web posted at: 7:08 p.m. EST (0008 GMT)
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- How should Florida count its presidential ballots? If officials in the Sunshine State follow the trend in other states, they'll count those "hanging chads" or even "bulging chads" as votes.

So how will they provide for the security of this? All we need are deviants messing with this and electing there very own.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Banned
    Tons of countries have been using electronic voting for years already... I've never heard of compromised security at electronic elections, it's way faster,... it's about time

Computer Forensics
    Very true, but diebold probably didn't make those machines in other countries, and the president of the company that made the machines didn't promise to win the state of ohio for Bush like the Diebold CEO did. The electronic voting debacle is going to be bad, and highly debated for quite some time. If they would give paper receipts then it would alleviate a lot of the fears.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Thanks for the info.

Well I surely didn’t know it was so widely used elsewhere. So where the heck have I been for the last mega-years? Comatose, a sheltered life, or passive inhalation……

But honest, I do remember throwing the large levers at the polls.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I've voted electronicaly since I have the right to vote (6 years ago)..

They have been doing it in the biggest part of the Netherlands for over 8 years, and I believe there is no place to vote the old fashioned way anymore..

Americans always so late and oldfashioned :P
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    does anyone know what Texas uses? this will be my first voting election... and do u have any tips for me? thanx bye.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

as long as the voting system isnt actually connected to the internet, and there is no way to connect an external device (ie. disk drive, usb ports etc...) it should be fairly secure. They use electronics to count the ballats anyway, this just takes out the middle man so to speak.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

********** |ceWriterguy
    Last March at the local ballots, we were still using the 'shade in the box with the number 2 pencil' method. No chads that way either, just a bunch of dumb rednecks who can't fill in the right box :P

Glad to see another young person taking advantage of their 'voting privilige/duty'.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

The problem I find with electronic voting (without the paper trail) is the whole human thing. What is to stop someone from adding 5000 votes for Bush or taking away 10000 votes from Kerry? (Just an example) The people who make the systems will not submit them to third party testing and the security by obscurity thing does not work for me.

The State of California has had plenty of troubles with electronic voting.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...am-calif_x.htm

or http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,26...w=wn_tophead_2

Or another good link at The Nation: http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i...6&s=dugger&c=1
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)