Thread: employee personal information disclosure

employee personal information disclosure

Is an employer allowed to give ALL your personal information without your authorization to a third party company who you don't currently have any relation with?

Can they give your SSN, DOB, Address, etc. to an insurance company that wants you to sign a policy with them. NOTE: You currently have NO policys with that company and they are not part of your normal insurance agency.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well certainly not over here, that would be a gross violation of our data protection act.

If you sign an employment contract that allows that then it might be OK, but even if the police etc. wanted to examine the personnel records I believe that they would need a warrant/court order.

On the other hand look at Employment Agents................you give them very detailed information with the intention that they disclose it So where IS your CV?

I know that life insurance scum over here will pay good money for a current internal phone directory, so maybe there is something bent in HR?...............is anything straight in "Human Remains" Department?

Banned
    Privacy and Identity Theft Prevention Act (2003). From what I've read from a number of sources, they are allowed to do that... they're not allowed to make that information public, but there's no law preventing them from what they did (this only applies to the SSN, though... don't know about DOB and the rest, but I doubt it).

No they cannot give information out without your knowledge unless they have been served with a data protection form. If they give out information without this form they are in breach of the data protection act. In Jan. 05 the freedom of information act will come in force look this up.

Banned
    Ummm... the Data Protection Act is a UK law...

I wouldnt think they could but as was mentioned above it depends where you are. It could be worth getting it checked out by a liar sorry lawyer. I know I would be pi** with my personnel departement if they done that.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

your right the data protection act is a uk law sorry,, but I am sure you must have a similar law to protect your right over there.

I was mistaken when I thought that I had no relation with that insurance company...

Turns out that they are the company that I'm insured by for short term and long term disability...
    Therefore... they already had all my info...

But it was useful info to know anyway. I had never read the rules/laws regarding my social... very interesting... and disturbing...

Thanks for all the info you have provided.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a couple of points,

Over here (UK) there have been a lot of take overs and mergers of financial institutions in the past few years, this would (generally) legally give your information to an (apparently) unknown corporation.

Again I will repeat my warning that some of these outfits are unscrupulous.........they will go at an online employment site where your CV is stored like a spambot!

They are not "spamming" as such, because IT are perceived as being high earners, so here is a site with a concentration of top class contacts.

My advice is do not give full address (just city/state etc) and do not give your social security number. I would also have a separate e-mail addy for this purpose as well..........easier to dump the spam out of that And use a mobile phone number.............they are expensive to call, and YOU are worth it...........or they are not worth talking to anyway?

Cheers