Thread: SP2 refuses to install

Angry SP2 refuses to install

I've been around a few times with MS help on this and all their suggestions have failed. Now I'm beginning to wonder if my computer is trying to tell me something. Anyways, using automatic updates SP2 will not install and will not download.

Does anyone have any idea?

Regal Making Handler
    Well the first thing that comes to mind is. Are you using a legitamate xp installed box? sorry to be so cynical.

If it is legit, what level of patch, sp1?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

SP 2

Yes, to both questions. All previous MS updates have been installed, I turned off any and all AV and firewall programs and tried that.

Do you get an error of some sort? Like that a file is running or does it just not download? If not, you should try using the network installer (http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...35-SP2-ENU.exe) that is designed for ease of install for admins on larger networks.

- dave
    soon to be banned. =)

SP2 is quite a hefty download as far as service packs go. If your having an issue that is causing to stall out, the network install is one way around this, plus I don't beleive that it uses ActiveX to scan the system which could also cause a similar issue. But of course. you said the install fails but havent let us know how it fails. A little more info could be very helpful. Does it just freese up? Disappear? give an error? does it act like it installes but doesn't? is it repeadly asking for your registration info? A vauge discription of the problem can only offer a vauge answer.

Thanks for everyone's help, I got an error this morning that stated the core kernel used to start my machine was not Microsoft so the update would not install. I did at one time use a drive loader with this machine, like ez-drive or something, but god that was years ago. I've sent that and setupapi logs to MS for further assistance. This machine has been around awhile with various upgrades and what not, thinking maybe I'll just say screw SP2 and turn it into a linux box.