Thread: missing DLL

missing DLL

A client has problems getting into windows 98. When wndows starts he gets an error message saying a dll file is missing. He did a system recovery but the problem still exists. He cant get past the error message to use windows. I dont know what the dll file is thats missing but would anyone have any ideas on how to rectify the problem and what might be causing it? Thanks

if a restore didnt work then something is pretty wrong, I would sugest you do a clean install not just a restore. So completly reformat everything, then reinstall.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

Must be a message missing Xyz.dll in win.ini or autoexec.bat do you wnat to continue loding windows..........Press any key and it works .

This means there is a entry to some Dll file in your win.ini and that file is missing.....generally it's device driver or related one.

First try to find out what is the name of the file is.........and where is the enrty located now you have two options ..................either delete the entry from the win.ini or the autoexec.bat (but first don't forget to back them up )

or find that Dll file and and copy it to the system folder...... from http://www.dll-files.com/

If it is not causing any problem then i would delete the entry for the win.ini or wherever it is located.

--Good Luck--

tell him to boot from last known good...
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

"tell him to boot from last known good..."

errr ???????? he is using windows 98 i have no idea hot to do that ....... why don't you tell him yourself

Booting into safe mode and replacing the dll should work
    - If It Aint Broken, Dont Fix It -

I have a few questions:

1. Can your client boot into safe mode? (that will tell us how deep the problem is)
    2. Is it 98 first or second edition? (I need to know that to pick the right diagnostic machine )
    3. We do need to know the .dll name if possible (that will zero in on the real problem)
    4. What is the hardware configuration (particularly does he have a CD/DVD writer, tape drive, ZIP drive, LS-120 etc............)

The bottom line is a re-install of the software (Win98) but if he can get it open in safe mode he can save important stuff?

If not, then I would look to a Knoppix cd and use *nix to do the recovery

I am afraid that I need a bit more information to be able to confidently advise you.

Cheers