ntsf/fat32 question..

Thread: ntsf/fat32 question..

ntsf/fat32 question..

this may be a stupid question but.,,
    I have a cumputer I'm working on, it has 2 hard drives c and d , both are fat32 format.
    Right now it's runing win98 and I need to format it and install winxp. rywill winxp in ntsf format still be able to read and write to the d drive thats in fat32 format?
    and will the programs on the fat drive run under ntfs?
    sorry but I'm an idiot....
    You can\'t squeeze cheese from a goat before it\'s hatched.............

from ntfs you will be able to see a fat drive .. however from fat you wont be able to see ntfs

Banned
    just pop in the xp cd and choose a fresh install,it will further ask you a question if you would want to convert the drive to nTFs( it did in win 2k) and you are through

as per the programs i think al most all the programs will work just as fine ,as a matter of fact they will work better than in ntfs
    hope it helps.

however from fat you wont be able to see ntfs
    need a better explaination..

if winXP is installed under the NTFS or Fat 32 it will happily see the Fat32 or a NTFS drive.. WIN9x are the OS that need special drivers to read/write NTFS..

If your asking .. "Will I be Able to run programs that are instaled on the FAT32 D: drive?" my initial answer is NO.. but it would be no even if the drive was formatted in NTFS.. The programs will not be fully installed on the new Operating system..

IF you were to install a program.. and set the installer to install to D:\..... yes they will run..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks!

I see your point about programs not being fully installed on the new operating system.
    After looking at the fat32 d:\ drive I see that most of whats on there is just music, movies and pictures so I guess I won't have any problems with win xp accessing anything on the drive.
    Thanks for the replies!
    You can\'t squeeze cheese from a goat before it\'s hatched.............