Immidiate Help required for xp

Thread: Immidiate Help required for xp

Banned

Immidiate Help required for xp

Hi
    I hane ap3 system with windows 98. As told me by some users i used the partition magic 5.0 to partition my hdd. Iwant to know wether win xp can be installed on a logical partition or not???
    I used the help of partition magic 5.0 and found that any primary partition created would be hidden to the other os and it would be impossible to access files in it. What is the solution to this problem??

hi abhishek,
    first of all you really need to check little before posting (as it took me a few seconds more that what ap3 system means that means ' a pentium 3 system isn' t it).
    sorry for that line but i'm trying to make your post little more clear.

Now about your question, if you are just where windows xp can be installed then, it is just other OS and so it can be installed where others can be.
    and what you want to ask in second part is whether it is mentioned that you can't access these OS files at all or just from that OS only? If accessing from other OS is case than maybe it's feature to protect system files(need more information)
    One suggestion that install OS on different partitions And try to use latest version of partition magic , it will solve most of your problems.
    Hope this helps.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

well, it's just like a dual boot linux-windows system, i have them both on a primary partition, but my windows partition is the active one.

and they still can see eachothers file system. only problem with win98 is that it can't deal with NTFS file system (used by windows XP). so that is one of the reasons why it isn't visible.

my setup of partitions:

first partition: windows XP (primary and active partition) NTFS
    second partition: slackware 10 (primary partition) ext2
    third partition: data partition (logical partition) fat32

i use the third partition to access files from both the os's. i can access the windows partition from linux, and i can access the linux partition from windows (only for reading). but this is the best it can be, since now i have access to my movies, tools,music etc from both the OS's...

hope this helps...

p.s. partition magic 5.0 is pretty old, i suggest you use at least partition magic 8.0 to create a good windows XP partition...

I think I understand your question, and suspect that you are confusing two issues?

1. partition managers "hide" OSes from each other so that they don't overwrite eachother's files.. That is perfectly OK and what you want to happen

2. If you load Win98 and WinXP and have a FAT32 file system for Win98 and NTFS for WinXP the XP can "see" the FAT32 partition, but the Win98 cannot "see" the NTFS partition. You would have to use FAT32 for both, which would take from the functionality of the XP installation.

What you might like to consider: set up a third FAT32 partition to store the common data files that you want both systems to access.

Hope that helps

I suspect nihil is closest to what AbhishekD is talking about..

perhaps an "NTFS for dos" app might help here..

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../ntfsdos.shtml

Banned
    Hi!
    Sorry for the wrong typing!!!!!!
    I just want to know wether win xp can be installed on a logical parition or does it require a primary one?
    Can win xp not be installed on a FAT32 fomat partition?
    please reply soon!!!!
    Its urgent

Can win xp not be installed on a FAT32 fomat partition?
    Sure it can ! NTFS is more secure though !

I just want to know wether win xp can be installed on a logical parition or does it require a primary one?
    Yes it can, but once again, the primary is more secure !

Windows XP installs its OS Loader into the active primary partition on the first drive (this is what starts Windows XP). The balance of Windows XP can be installed on any drive, in a primary or logical partition.
    If you are installing Windows XP into a logical partition, and wish to leave unpartitioned space for other operating systems, you should manually create the Windows XP partition rather than allow the Windows XP installation to create it. This can be accomplished by using the Windows XP disk administrator, or manual partitioning with System Commander, Partition Commander or DriveWorks.
    http://www.v-com.com/support/sup_os_WinXP.html
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

Antionline Herpetologist
    Yes it can, but once again, the primary is more secure !
    How? I doubt if the partition type makes any difference at all.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

AbhishekD,

Yes you can install XP using a FAT32 partition, and partition magic should handle the logical partition bit, however I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T DO IT.

lepricaun has the reason, you are using partition magic 5.0 and you need to be at 8.0 to support XP properly. Also, I hope that you have a legitimate and not a pirate copy of Partition Magic, there are a lot of pirate versions around that will just screw up your system.

Good luck

EDIT: /off topic

cgkanchi, the snakesofindia link doesn't work I get
    No web site is configured at this address.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Nihil, the link works now. Thanks for the heads up. I forgot the www.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com