Thread: installing free BsD

Talking installing free BsD

hey you guys,
    just yesterday i got my hands on a free bsd cd , though i found it very very intresting
    www.freebsd.org i am kinda very reluctant to install it.i mean there is not much info about the os on the site (apart from the security feature) how is free bsd ( a few screen shots would do) how is the gui and the cli. iam kinda in a confused state so could you plz help me out on installing the os.
    thanx
    LOL

For seeing how it looks, go to the "Show your stuff thread" on GCC here on AO. A few BSD users posted screen shots. For installing go to the "Other tutorials" forum, and read my tutorial.

Security wise, it's gotten better, but it's a bitch to update for a newbie.

The default Shell is either SH or CSH. But you can use Bash like Linux does too. It's fast and stable. I'm writing a paper right now "SlackBSD" which goes over the differences, and what which is good at but it's no where near finished.

The link you posted in your post, click on it. On the right hand side, select the newbies section, and read.

As gore said, you can look around here for some info, do a search. Or you can go to the site and check out the handbook. There will be more than enough information in it to get you started.
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/index.html

http://www.google.com/bsd

http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/

For more screen shots

http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/...hp?threadid=56

Just Another Geek
    I'm a long time FreeBSD user. I started since version 3.2 or something. I'm now running 5.3-Beta4.

As for how it looks and feels, it's the same as any Linux system. FreeBSD can also use XFree86 (5.3-beta4 uses X.org). Gnome/KDE or whatever is exactly the same.

Read through the handbook on how to install. It's the first link in devpon's post.

Updating a bitch? I think not. Actually it couldn't be easier. I can update the entire base OS from source. Try and do that on Linux then we'll see what's easier ;-)

A regular update session goes something like this:

# cvsup stable-supfile # this will update the source tree
    # cd /usr/src
    # less UPDATING # ALLWAYS read this when updating your system!
    # make buildkernel # This will build the kernel
    # make buildworld # This will build the base OS
    # make installkernel # Install the kernel
    # make installworld # Install the base OS.
    # mergemaster # merge any new/changed configuration files
    # reboot

Use cvsup to keep your source and ports tree up2date. Use sysutils/portupgrade to keep an eye on your installed ports and for easy upgrade of your ports.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

hey gore the tut u rote is gr8, i think it should be out up in the freeBSD web site.well what do you say ??
    thanx

Right... Before I wrote it, I talked with some people who do documentation for Free BSD and told them my idea. In Gentoo style, they were like "What?!?!?!?! What could be better than the Free BSD manuals??". So I told them how they could pull staples out of the book and make use of it in the toilet. Needless to say they don't talk to me anymore.

Just Another Geek
    LOL. Well, if you used it all, there's still an online version for you to enjoy!

I switched from Linux to FreeBSD years ago and I never looked back since.

My main reason to switch was those damn dependencies when compiling something on Linux. Once I found out how easy it is to install a port from source on FreeBSD and keeping it up2date I nuked my Linux and switched to FreeBSD.

Another reason is the fact that Linux is a kernel, nothing more, nothing less. FreeBSD is a fully blown complete OS, with more bells and whistles you'll ever need.

And I really, really like the jails in FreeBSD. AFAIK Linux doesn't have anything like that.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.