Thread: DIY built laptop

Post DIY built laptop

I want to pose the question to the masses before I start building. Has any one else built there own laptop. I've recently read about Asus making what they call there whiteboxs. A whitebox is just another term for a barebone laptop.
    Here is the article about the how to --> Building Your own notebook.

Here's ASUS site about there whiteboxes. ASUS

I've wanted a new laptop for some time now. Not only one to be for business but with enough raw power to play games in some LAN parties and what not.
    I like Alienware's laptops although bringing one of them into a board meeting might seem outta place. I understand I do have other options as far as packaged systems but all for a nice fee.

So here is what i've put together for parts thus far.

Asus A3N/Z91 Centrino Notebook- 15 inch XGA w/CDRW+DVD/Modem/Lan/Card Reader/Camera

Intel Pentium M 755 2.0 GHz, 400MHz FSB, on-die 2MB L2 Cache

Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM Notebook Hard Drive, Model HTS726060M9AT00 PART# 08K0939, OEM Drive Only

KINGMAX 200-Pin 1GB DDR SODIMM PC-2700, Model MSAD42D-KI

This seems like a pretty nice set up. As of right now it'll run me about $1,938.00 plus shipping.
    I'd like to have a removable graphics card though so I might try to reconfigure with a different whitebox for that when I get a chance. Let me know what you think?

Never got any response to this one but, I will be doing this over the holidays my parts are ordered and on there way. Perhaps i'll go more into detail and take a bunch of pictures.

Asus "whitebox"

I checked the site and saw that they have a built on asus feature much like dell. I wonder, how did you go about the process of building the notebook? Where would you get the case and such?
    \"Cant sleep..... clown\'ll eat me..... cant sleep...... clown\'ll eat me.\"

You can get a case and motherboard only at Pricewatch
    Click on the No OS under latops.

Very interesting. It would be very cool if you came up with a quick tut on how to dismantle the notebook case and build up, most of the barebones kits I saw come with Centrino or better cpus, does it come bundled with schematics like when you build a desktop? Sensing that you have exoperience what would be the esimated build time after shipping of the parts.
    \"Cant sleep..... clown\'ll eat me..... cant sleep...... clown\'ll eat me.\"