Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surf Control

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    This is going to sound rather silly but it sprung to mind so I will mention it......

You claim you live alone, you claim you don't have surfcontrol, you claim that you "control your own internet destiny".... OK.... Here's the silly part.....

I'm wondering if delias.com isn't using SurfControl as a filter for their own web site. In reverse so to speak... It could be done and in a fashion it would work a little like URLScan but, thinking about it, it could be made to be a lot more configurable..... Maybe that is what you are encountering. You are making a request to their web site that is on their "blocked" list and SurfControl is jumping in, like it's supposed to, and resetting the connection at their server and sending you the "Access Denied" like it would if one of their users was surfing the pr0n.

OTOH, they could have it misconfigured and wrongly placed so that it interferes with normal traffic. Assuming that what your program is doing is all above board I would contact them to report it and see what they say. If they say they use SurfControl as a web filter from the outside I'd love to know.... I think it would be pretty funny.....

/me wanders over to SurfControl servers to have a play.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    I'm wondering if delias.com isn't using SurfControl as a filter for their own web site. In reverse so to speak... It could be done and in a fashion it would work a little like URLScan but, thinking about it, it could be made to be a lot more configurable..... Maybe that is what you are encountering. You are making a request to their web site that is on their "blocked" list and SurfControl is jumping in, like it's supposed to, and resetting the connection at their server and sending you the "Access Denied" like it would if one of their users was surfing the pr0n.
    Would not be uncommon to use a product like suffcontrol as a "reverse proxy"
    Used with good firewall config can produce good results with protecting
    against malicious application requests.

As you said like URLScan.

I dont really know what the problem is but when I didnt use the program and access the site, I got thru it...

I guess I shouldnt use the program anymore, should I? but I dunno if It'll be more safer than not

anyways, thanks
    juicy`peanut

you said it was a program that you cant run, it doesnt soudns like surfcontrol webfilter which is a policy tool that defines what you can do and visit on the net.

It soudns more like Surfcontrol Enterprise threat shield which defines what programs you can run or what file types you download or store on yur computer.

The threat shield just pushes an agent to your mahcine without your knowledge when the administrator says so, it runs in the background and based on the policy defined for what you can run or download it monitirs and prevents.

I take it is a work machine and u connect gfrom home via VPN or something.

anyways sounds mor elike that than webfilter ?
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously